HON. BLAIR HAGERTY, M. D.
Among those who devote their time and attention to the practice of medicine and surgery in Williams county, and
have gained a leading place in the ranks of their profession, is Doctor Hagerty. of Montpelier.
A native of Williams county, he was borne in Bridgewater township, December 14, 1840, a son of Blair and Rebecca
(Goodrich) Hagerty, natives of Washington county. Pennsylvania. In 1807 his paternal grandparents came to this
country from Ireland, locating in Pennsylvania, on the Susquehanna river. During the Indian troubles, while their
son, Blair, Sr., was quite small, they were obliged to leave their home and seek a place of safety. In order to
reach the blockhouse erected for the protection of the settlers in that region, they had to cross the river where
it was over a mile in width. On horseback they swam across. the mother carrying her child in her arms and the father
leading her horse by a long rope. After a hard struggle they reached the opposite bank in safety, and finally arrived
at the primitive fort. Throughout life they remained residents of Washington county, Pennsylvania, where the grandfather
engaged in the distilling business.
In 1844 Blair Hagerty, Sr., brought his family to Bridgewater township. Williams county, Ohio. where he improved
a farm in the midst of the forest, and here spent his remaining days. dying at the age of eighty four years, his
wife in the spring of 1897. at the age of eighty one. Both were faithful members of the. Church of Christ, and
had the respect and esteem of all who knew them. Their children were: Joseph L., a practicing physician of Topeka,
Kansas; James R., a jeweler (now deceased); Blair; Spencer, a real estate dealer; Almyra; Elizabeth and Rhoda.
In the public schools near his childhood home, Doctor Hagerty commenced his education, and later attended college
at Hillsdale for one term, after which he began reading medicine while clerking in a store at that place. In 1861
he made a visit to Chicago, where he enlisted for three years in Company F, Forty Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry,
which was assigned to the Western Department, Army of Missouri, but was later transferred to the Army of the Tennessee.
After one year spent in the ranks, the Doctor was made hospital steward, by General Rosecrans, and soon afterward
was promoted to assistant surgeon, having full charge of a hospital, where he remained until the expiration of
his term of service in 1864. Going to Louisville, Kentucky, he was honorably discharged and returned to his home
in Williams county. Here he commenced the practice of his chosen profession, subsequently attended medical lectures
in Detroit, Michigan, and in 187o graduated at Bennett Medical College, Chicago, also at the Eye and Ear College
of that city. He has neglected no opportunity to advance himself in his chosen calling, keeps abreast with the
latest discoveries in the science, and is acknowledged to be one of the most skillful surgeons and successful physicians
of Williams county. Since 1873 his office has been in Montpelier, but his practice is not confined to the city,
it extending over a large section of the surrounding country.
Politically, Doctor Hagerty is an uncompromising Democrat, taking an active and prominent part in public affairs.
He is a recognized leader of the party in his community, is one of its most influential workers, and has often
led the hosts to victory in Williams county. In the General Assembly of Ohio, he represented his district in 1869-70,
was a member of several important committees, and served with distinction and to the entire satisfaction of his
constituents. Subsequently he was the Democratic candidate for State senator, but was unable to overcome the large
Republican majority. Socially. he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern, Ohio
Including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton
Published by: J. H. Beers and Company
Northwestern, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium