W. C. GALLAHER.
W. C. Gallaher, proprietor of the Gallaher Market, Incorporated, has through a period of four decades been actively
identified with business affairs in Hanford, and since entering business on his own account has succeeded in a
manner that evidences his marked ability and industry. He was born in Webster county, Missouri, on the 11th day
of February, 1874, a son of Charles P. and Adeline (Freeman) Gallaher, both of whom were born and reared in Missouri
W. C. Gallaher attended school during his early boyhood days in Missouri, but his studies there were interrupted
by the removal of the family to California in 1885. They arrived in Hanford on October 15th and found here a population
of about six hundred, and only two brick buildings in the town. At the age of fifteen years W. C. Gallaher went
to work on neighboring ranches, continuing this for three years. At the end of that time he went to Lemoore and
obtained employment in the meat market of Mr. Selbach, with whom he remained two and a half years, learning the
trade. He and Isaac Burlington then leased the shop, which they operated together about one and a half years, when
Mr. Gallaher sold his interest to his partner and returned to Hanford. Here for three years he ran the old Hanford
livery stable, and then went to work in John Wilson's meat market, where he remained eleven months, at the end
of which time he started in business for himself in a small way, and after building the business up to a creditable
size he sold out in 1913 and during the following two years was engaged in buying, shipping and selling live stock,
sending most of his shipments to the San Francisco markets. On February 6, 1915, Mr. Gallaher went into the butcher
business on Eighth street. Here he at once met with very gratifying success and in 1920 erected the fine, modern
business block which he now occupies at No. 215 West Eighth street. He incorporated the business under the name
of The Gallaher Market and now carries one of the largest and most complete lines of merchandise in Hanford. He
has four departments - meats, vegetables, fish and groceries - and his constant aim is to meet the wants of his
customers and to give them prompt and honest service. His efforts have been duly appreciated and he now controls
his full share of the public patronage. Mr. Gallaher butchers all his own meat and for that purpose maintains a
slaughter house one mile east of Hanford. As he has succeeded Mr. Gallaher has wisely invested his funds and now
owns a half section of fine land south of Hanford and this he has equipped for dairy purposes, with a fine herd
of Holstein cattle. He leases this farm on shares and has found it a profitable source of income.
Mr. Gallaher is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which
he has taken the degrees of all three branches; the Woodmen of the World, and the Portuguese Lodges, I. D. E. S.
and U. P. E. C.
Mr. Gallaher was married in Lemoore on October 11th, 1896, to Miss Laura W. Hess, a native of Tennessee. He is
successful in a material way, respected in social life and discharges his civic duties in a manner becoming a liberal
minded, intelligent citizen of the community. Because of these qualities he enjoys to a marked degree the esteem
and good will of his fellow citizens.
History of Tulare County, California
By: Kathleen Edwards Small
Kings County, California
By: J. Larry Smith
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium