JOSEPH P. LEMON.
Joseph P. Lemon, ranch owner and public spirited citizen of Hanford, may justly bear the title of self made man,
having worked his way unaided from a modest beginning to an admirable and influential position among the successful
business men of Kings county. He is a native of the Azore Islands, born in April, 1878, and reared and educated
in his native land. He has fought life's battles unaided since his seventeenth year, for it was then that he came
to the United States. He arrived in Kings county in March, 1893, just prior to the formation of the county, which
occurred on May 23d of that year, and, having remained here continuously since, he has witnessed and participated
in the wonderful transformation which has taken place here during the subsequent years. For a short time after
coming here he was employed on ranches, and then secured employment in the shoe store of Mr. Rubenstein, in Hanford.
Later he opened a men's shoe store and repair shop in Hanford, which he disposed of and then engaged in the grocery
business. He was successful, but was ambitious for a larger field of operations and, in partnership with three
other men, he went into the sheep business. The business prospered and before long Mr. Lemon bought the interests
of his partners, since which time he has been independent in his enterprises. By careful and painstaking attention
to his business, he has been successful and has gradually enlarged his holdings until today he is numbered among
the largest sheep raisers of Kings county. He now runs from three thousand to four thousand sheep and this one
phase of his activities has proven him to be a man of sound judgment and wise discrimination.
Mr. Lemon is the owner of a one hundred and sixty acre ranch one mile north of Lemoore, which he maintains under
a high state of cultivation - twenty acres being in apricots, sixteen acres in vineyard and the balance in alfalfa.
He maintains an eighty cow dairy and the farm contains all modern improvements and conveniences. He also has seven
hundred and twenty acres in another ranch south of Lemoore, which contains a one hundred cow dairy, and on which
are one hundred and fifty head of dry dairy stock, thirty head of horses, two hundred head of hogs and nine hundred
sheep. A large part of this land is sown to alfalfa. In Kern county Mr. Lemon owns thirteen hundred and twenty
acres of grazing land; has fourteen hundred acres of grazing land on the west side, in Kings county; and has fourteen
sections of rented land in Kern county
When only twenty four years of age Mr. Lemon was sheep inspector for the county, having had sheep of his own since
he was eighteen years old.
During the prevalence of the foot and mouth disease in this state in 1924, Mr. Lemon was appointed a member of
the advisory board and took an active part in the efforts to control and stamp out the ravages of the disease.
He is an active member of the California Woolgrowers Association, and is a director at large of the Kings County
Farm Bureau, He was for three years president of the dairy department of the Farm Bureau and is now a director.
He is also a stockholder and member of the board of directors of the First National Bank of Hanford.
Mr. Lemon has always taken a deep interest in the improvement of Hanford, and especially has striven to secure
wide and well improved streets. As an instance of his far sightedness, on the south side, between Irwin and Redington
streets, there was an alley, twenty eight feet wide, with but three houses on it. Mr. Lemon advocated the widening
and improving of this street, but there was considerable opposition and he was three years in getting approval
to the project. To show his earnestness in the matter, he donated five hundred and thirty five dollars to the city
to help defray the cost of the improvement. This thoroughfare is now known as Lacey boulevard, in honor of a pioneer
citizen of Hanford. The name was selected by Mr. Lemon and adopted by the board of supervisors and city board of
trustees. Mr. Lemon was also instrumental in having a narrow street between Redington and Kaweah streets with ened.
Politically Mr. Lemon assumes a somewhat independent attitude, voting for the candidate for office whom he deems
best fitted, but he is a Republican in national affairs. He is a member of the Portuguese-American Club and of
the Portuguese lodges, I. D. E. S. and U. P. E. C.
Mr. Lemon was married November 10, 1902, to Miss May Ramos; who was born and reared in Sonoma county, California,
and they have a son: Louis, twenty one years of age, who is now taking the law course in the University of Oregon.
The success attained by Mr. Lemon in his business enterprises has been due solely to his steady persistence, stern
integrity and excellent judgment, qualities which have given him rank with the leading business men in his section
of the state, besides winning for him the confidence and esteem of the public to a marked degree. His religious
faith is that of the Catholic church.
History of Tulare County, California
By: Kathleen Edwards Small
Kings County, California
By: J. Larry Smith
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium