The Knoxville National Bank was organized in 1871 by A. W. and S. L. Collins, Larkin Wright, E. B. Woodruff,
A. J. Briggs and others, Mr. Wright becoming the president. This was the first national bank of Knoxville and was
capitalized for one hundred thousand dollars. Mr. Wright was succeeded in the presidency by A. W. Collins in 1872
and he was followed by E. H. Amos. The next president was J. S. Cunningham, who remained as the head of the institution
until his death, which occurred in March, 1911, when J. B. Elliott, the former cashier, succeeded to the presidency
and so continues. The first cashier was A. J. Briggs, who remained in that position until 1882. H. L. Bousquet
was cashier for part of a year, from April until the succeeding January, J. B. Elliott becoming the incumbent of
the office in January, 1884, and continuing in that position until his election to the presidency in 1911. Mr.
Cunningham was vice president from 1871 until elected to the presidency, when his son, C. C. Cunningham, succeeded
him in the vice presidency. When Mr. Elliott became president of the bank in 1911 J. J. Roberts, who had been assistant
cashier for about a quarter of a century, was made cashier and is the present incumbent in that office. The bank
adopted a safe conservative yet progressive policy at the outset that has always been maintained and thus the success
of the institution was assured. In 1872 the present bank building was erected at the northwest corner of the square
and is one of the business landmarks of the city. Every year the bank's statement has shown a growth in business
and the Knoxville National Bank is today one of the strongest financial concerns of this part of the state.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium