Pella's Weekblad has a large and representative circulation among the residents of Iowa and adjoining states
who are of Dutch birth or ancestry, and is one of the leading papers in this section of the country printed in
the Dutch language. It was established in 1861 by Henry Hospers, a prominent figure in the state at that time.
About 1870 he sold the business to H. Neyenesch, who took charge June 20 of that year and conducted it until January
1, 1899, and then sold it to the Rev. H. Poot, who conducted it for thirteen months, when Mr. Neyenesch bought
the paper again and conducted it until October 11, 1901. He then sold the subscription list to Jansma Brothers,
who were the publishers of the Nieuwsblad, which they had established on the 10th of February, 1899. On the 10th
of October, 1901, they combined the two papers, retaining the name of Pella's Weekblad, as that was the older and
better known publication. On the 28th of February, 1902, John Jansma died and his brother James continued to publish
the paper until 1904, in which year H. F. Johnson, the present business manager, purchased a half interest. On
New Year's day, 1909, Mr. Johnson and H. L. Boland bought James Jansma's interest in the paper and have remained
its sole owners ever since.
Pella's Weekblad, as its name indicates, is published weekly and is an excellent paper of eight pages of six columns
each. It is printed in the Dutch language and has a large circulation which is steadily increasing. Its editor,
E. C. Tarenkamp, is a man of broad learning, with an intimate knowledge of the life of the people in whose interests
it is printed, and under his direction a high standard of journalism is maintained and at the same time it is popular
in its appeal. The business phase of this publication is ably managed by H. F. Johnson and its finances are in
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium