Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906
WOODS, FRANK C., a very successful farmer and stockman of Greenbush Township, Warren County. and a most excellent
citizen of that community, was born in the town of Greenbush, March 8, 1858. His father, John Woods. was born in
the town of Sullivan, Madison County, N. Y., March 11, 1824; his mother, Lucy A. Chatterton, in Virgil, Cortland
County, New York, March 5, 1819. She emigrated to Illinois with her parents in the fall of 1836. After her marriage
she removed with her husband in 1851 to Greenbush Township. Asa Woods, his grandfather, was born in New York, and
his wife, Mary Wilford. in Connecticut. His great-grandfather was Samuel Woods. His maternal grandparents were
Cornelius and Lucy (Ball) Chatterton, both natives of Virgil, Cortland County, New York.
Frank C. Woods was educated in the Avon High School, and was married October 10. 1889, to Hattie A. Holden, in
Greenville, Mich. Of this marriage there has been born one child, Ruth Emma, who was born July 22, 1894. Mrs. Woods
was a daughter of L. D. and Emma (Lincoln) Holden, both natives of Cortland County, N. Y. They removed to Minnesota,
where the father died, March 5. 1862, after 'which the widow returned to New York, later moving to Michigan, where
she died April 11, 1894.
Samuel Woods, the great grandfather of Frank C., came from Scotland, after having married an English wife. Asa
Woods, his wife and seven children five boys and two girls came to Illinois by wagon in 1836. being six weeks on
the way, and were the second family to locate in the vicinity in which they settled. John Woods, at that time only
twelve years of age, drove one of the teams. a good portion of the way. John Woods was married August 6, 1848,
to Lucy A. Chatterton, by whom he had four children: Miss Addie; L. S.. who died May 13, 1881; Mrs. Lunette Ross,
who died June 1, 1894; and Frank C. Mr. Woods came to own about 500 acres of choice land in Greenbush, on which
he lived for thirty-eight years, after which he removed to Avon, where he was engaged as President of the Milling
and Manufacturing Company until the time of his death, August 4, 1894, resulting from cholera morbus. A strange
coincidence was, that his father died from the same disease on the same day cf the month thirty-nine years before.
All of the Woods have been Universalists. John Woods gave the land on \vhich the Universalist Church in Avon is
built, and Frank C. is a faithful and devoted member of that body. Mrs. Lucy A. Woods died at her home in Avon,
March 29, 1898, having long been a faithful member of the same church as her husband.
Frank C. Woods is a substantial and reliable man, is a Republican, and has been called to serve his district as
a School Trustee. He owns 280 acres of land in Greenbush Township. and devotes his attention to grain and stock-raising.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
and the history of Warren County.
Edited by: Newton Bareman, LL. D. & Paul Selby, A. M.
Published by: Munsell Publishing Company