Bios of men from Nichols, NY



Typed by Karen L. Decker Brown

After the revocation of the “Edict of Nantes” (1685), the Coryell family, Huguenots, left its home in the Alsace-Lorraine section of France, and, coming to America, landed at Perth Amboy, N. J. The ancestors of the judge bought lands at. Lambertville. in 1732, were granted a patent for a ferry by King George II, January 7, 1733, and operated it when it was crossed by Washington’s army en route to the battle of Trenton. In 1777, Emanuel Coryell, then a federal soldier, was appointed “forage-master” at “Coryell's ferry” by Col. Clement Biddle, forage-master general of the federal army, and from February 19 to February 22, 1778, he supplied the whole federal army with five days rations, while it was crossing the Delaware previous to the battle of Monmouth. In 1779 he resigned the position. In 1791 Mr. Coryell left Lambertvile, his native place, with a young family and settled on the Susquehanna in this county; He was one of the earliest settlers, became the agent of Robert H. Hooper and other land proprietors, and had extensive dealings with the settlers From his upi ight and benevolent course in that capauty, he contributed, much toward the prosperity and improvement of this part of the state He possessed the confidence of the people in a high degree, was several times a member of the legislature, and for many years a first judge of the court of common pleas. In this and various other offices held in the course of’ a long life, he sustained a high èharacter for talents, honor and ‘integrity. A soldier of the army of Washington, Judge Corell was ardently attached to and a firm supporter of Washington and his policy, and no dictates of interest or subserviency to the opinions of others could prevail upon him to withhold an honest and independent expression of his opinions. His private manners were marked by an easy and unrestrained affability, and upon the bench he arrogated nothing to himself from an undue estimate of his powers or of his position. His house was ever the center of good cheer for the vicinity. He died in 1835, aged 82 years.

VINCENT MATTHEWS CORYELL, son of Hon. Emanuel and Frances Coryell, was born in Nichols, June 28, 1800. His natural endowments and gift were Of a high order. An imposing physique, a fine voice for public address, and a strong mental sagacity and keenness combining, constituted him a person for distinction in any calling. Early in his “teens” he had mastered a good English education, was well advanced in Latin and Greek, and, classed as a superior scholar, he was graduated from Union College. Immediately after graduation he was sent to the law office of Vincent Matthews (of whom he was named) and William B. Rochester at Bath, with whom he studied until his examination at Albany, where he received his diploma, signed by Chief Justice Savage. He immediately entered upon a flattering practice at Bath. He married in 1821 Jane, daughter of Hon. Dugaid Cameron. Her illness and death changed him from skepticism to a christian believer and later brought him into the ministry. His call to preach was at first resisted but finally heartily responded to. He united with the Methodist church, received his license to preach from John Griffin in 1825, and began the work of an itinerant on Tioga circuit. In 1828 he was received “on trial” in Genesee conference and appointed to Canaan (Pa.) circuit. We trace his itinerant career from Canaan to Bridgewater, Wyoming, Scipio, Marcellus, Watertown, Syracuse, Rome, Cazenovia, Skaneateles, Coopers-. town, Norwich, Waverly. In 1843—1846 he was presiding elder of Owego district. He was pastor in Syracuse twice, and while there built the First Methodist church edifice. Revivals swept over every station he occupied. His ministerial life covered more than sixty years and the number of conversions under his ministry was about 3,000. Twelve of his converts became ministers and four doctors of divinity. As a minister Mr. Coryell possessed more than ordinary mental grasp and intellectual preparation. Dogmas, and teachings of whatever sort that antagonized truth, were brought speedily to judgment by his logic and address. His personal experience was preeminent. His soul flashed the light with which it was permeated. His second marriage was on February 11, 1838, and with Miss Rachel E. Lounsbury, a teacher in a young ladies’ seminary at Troy. Of Mr. Coryell’s children six are living: Emanuel Coryell, of Nichols; Mrs. T. J. McElhemy, of Ithaca; Mrs. Helen M. Scott and Mrs. Mary B. Sheldon, of Waverly: Mrs. Clementina C. Faulkner of Atchison, Kan.; and Mrs. E. Josephine Whitman of Syracuse, N. Y. Mr. Coryell died November 5, 1889.

JAMES HOWELL, son of Sampson and Elizabeth Howell, was born November 27, 1878, in Frelinghuysen, N. J. Sampson was the third farmer of that town in size of farm and success. James married Amelia Lanning about 1802. In February, 1806, he with his wife and two children and a younger brother, started for Nichols from New Jersey in a rudely constructed sleigh with wooden shoes, drawn by two horses, which contained all their goods. They came by the route of “The Shades of Death,” presumably the route taken eastward by the survivors of the Wyoming massacre. James Howell settled one hundred rods below Judge Coryell, on the farm now owned by Mr. Stewart, but soon bought the farm recently owned by Emanuel Coryell, Jr., back of looper’s Valley. Here he lived until 1815. Wolves and other wild animals were troublesome. Much corn was carried off and destroyed by bears, which also in a few weeks time carried off between thirty and forty pigs. In 1814, Mr. Howell traded this place for one owned by Elijah Cole, one mile south of the site of Nichols village. This farm comprised 126 acres of good pine and hemlock and a primitive sawmill with a “flutter wheel.” This mill was used during a long period of lumbering, and was the sole survivor of the watermills of this section when it was taken down, January 24, 1897. Both pine and hemlock have gone, the last of the latter on the Howell place being converted into lumber in the winter of 1896 and 1897. The early price of pine lumber down to about 1840 was from $5 to $6 per M. About 1827 Mr. Howell purchased an adjacent lot of heavy timber containing 162 acres. Soon after he bought the Robinson and Brewster lot, on the east hill, of 250 acres, so that his acreage was 288 acres on the west side of the creek and 250. on the east side. He was a good farmer, steady and industrious. He donated liberally to the churches, though not a. church member. He was the smallest of his parents’ eight sons, weighing but 200 pounds, while his heaviest brother weighed 340 pounds. James Howell died December 23, 1837; his wife died March 30, 1832. Of their eight children six attained maturity and several advanced old age. A daughter, Fannie (Mrs. Stephen Morey), died in May, 1890, in her 89th year, and her brother, John, died the next August in his 86th year.

ROBERT HOWELL, the only survivor of James Howell’s family, was born September 4, 1815, in a log house on the Howell homestead, about one mile south of Nichols village. This house was 12 by 14 feet in size with a frame addition of 8 by 12 feet, and was within thirty feet of the Wappasening creek (west side). His present home is one mile further south, on his pleasant farm of 160 acres, lying partly in Pennsylvania. Robert was sent to school when eight years old and was also taught to work. Before he was ten he had dragged and “harrowed in” many fields of grain, and when but twelve was sent to aid a man in running a sawmill. (Sawing was hard wOrk then, toiling all day and half the night.) The schools he attended were the district one now called the “line” school and that at Nichols. They were poor, and his attendance ended when he was seyenteen. He was a natural student, with great preference for geography, boys’ travels and hunting stories. An omnivorous reader, he early began to study geology, history, zoology, paleontology, ethnology, etc. Botany had great attractions for him and, in a time when books were rare articles, he had read much. A few school books and a much less number of other volumes, were all he could get in boyhood, but his father took two or three newspapers and agricultural journals, which were eagerly devoured. Robert was early a collector, and when only eighteen owned about twenty bound books and as many pamphlets. Now his library contains about 4,000 books and pamphlets, hundreds of large quarto volumes and a few folios, many volumes weighing from ten to eighteen pounds. It has many books that cannot be duplicated in a radius of many miles. In August, 1852, Mr. Howell was elected a member of the American Association of Science, which included the United States, British America and Mexico, and had members in Great Britain, France, Germany, etc. - His name was proposed by Louis Agassiz, the eminent scientist, and seconded by Dr. James Hall, our distinguished state geologist. Mr. Howell then began to collect the Chemung fossils to supply the demand of geologists. Each of the more than fifty boxes of these fossils sent out by him was from 240 to 350 pounds in weight. These went to aid the state geologists of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc., in their state surveys (with many duplicates for their private collections), and to the Smithsonian institution, the New York state geological collection, Prof. Agassiz, Cambridge university and numerous other universities and colleges. The last two boxes (one of fossils, one of drift bowlders) went to the university of Chicago. Mr. Howell for twenty years kept a record of the weather for the meteorological bureau at Washington, beginning with “old probabilities” and ending with General Greeley’s term of service. For thirty years he has made reports of remarkable storms and events in Nichols to the regents of the state university. He has catalogued the forest trees and shrubs of Nichols for the same body, and some years since made a report of the timber and wood in Tioga county for the United States forestry commission. These papers were printed in state and United States publications, and in reputable periodicals. Mr. Howell ha’s had a busy life., He has helped to chop and clear over 200 acres Of land, yet he has been an indefatigable student. Much of his study has been done in evenings and in mornings before day, yet so much study by lamp and candle light has little impaired his sight. In his eighty-second year he now reads hours daily without using glasses, which he has never needed. Never a member of any church, but an universalist in belief, he has aided in the building and support of several: Churches of different denominations. With remarkably clear ‘understanding and faculties, Mr. Howell is passing the evening of an useful life and’is tenderly cared for as the twilight deepens.

The ancestor of Miles Forman, Robert Forman, of Lincoinshire, England, who was persecuted for his faith by the church of England, went to live in Flushing, Holland, in 1618, then he and others of his faith came to the Dutch colony in America to live. They obtained from ‘the government of the New Netherlands, under Governor Kieft, a grant of land on the north shore of Long Island, in Queen’s county; they called the place Flushing. Robert Forman was one of the corporators of Flushing in 1645. He removed to Hempstead, L. I., and after the conquest of the New Netherlands by the English in 1664, he removed to Oyster Bay, L. I. He had a son Aaron, who also had a son Aaron, whose son Aaron married Susanna Townsend, the daughter of the second of two brothers who came from England early in the seventeenth century. Aaron and Susanna had several sons; one, Jacob, settled in Westchester county, N. Y. Jacob’s son, John, married Jerusha Lands, had daughters Betsey, Jerusha, Sally, Susanna, and one son, Miles Forman, who was born September 26, 1762. He enlisted when eighteen, May 4, 1780, in the continental army (Col. Albert Paulding’s regiment), served until the close of the war, and was in several stirring engagements. Once when home on leave the tories surrounded the house, and he jumped from the window escaping unseen. The tories whipped his sister Jerusha with their ramrods because she would not tell where he was. Her father made an iron flail to whip them, and used it effectively several times. His arm with the flail is on one issue of the continental money—the $2.00 bill of 1780. Miles Forman, after the war, married Anna Platt, of Bedford, Westchester county, and afterward in 1790, came to Nichols, where he bought a large farm. He was twiCe sheriff of Tioga county when it also comprised the counties of Ohemung, Tompkins and part of Schuyler. He died in Nichols, February, 1834, aged 77 years. He left six daughters: Jerusha, married with David Olds; Torreta with James Bush; Anna with Clark - Hyatt; Sarah with Ira Ransom; Rue with Jacob Wood; Frances with Shevinus Dunham; Elizabeth with Edmund McQuigg. He had four sons. Smith married Martha Miller. His Sons are the only ones of the name living in the county. They are Edmund Forman, of Barton, Miles Forman, of Nichols, and Samuel Forman, of Elmira. He has one grandson, John Forman, of Nichols. Sands married Mary Mathews. His sons live in California and Chicago; Miles, who married Hannah Brodhead, and Ferris Forman lives in Stockton, Cal. He is now eighty-eight years of age. He was colonel of the third Illinois regiment during the Mexican war. He went to CalifOrnia in 1849, was a democratic postmaster of Sacrameilto under James Buchanan. He was also counsel for Captain Sutter, the discoverer of gold in California.

SMITH FORMAN, son of Miles and Anna (Platt) Forman, was born February 3, 1787, in Westchester county. He was married with Martha, daughter of Jacob and Folly (Warren) Miller, in 1816. They had eight children: Mary A. (deceased), (Mrs. Abram F. Pruyn), John (deceased), Miles, Almira, (Mrs. Thomas Osterhout), Martha (Mrs. Jackson C. Bunnell), Edmond M., Samuel W., Julia (Mrs. Robert Howell) (deceased). Miles Forman was born September 13, 1825, in Nichols, where he was educated in the common schools. He then for six years was in stock-raising and did a shipping business. Since then he has “lumbered" and, in 1860, he opened a retail liquor store in Nichols, which he conducted for six years, when he retired and is now not actively engaged in any business. He was married with Stella, daughter of Nehemiah and Diantha (Wilson) Platt, on November 14, 1854. They had two children, Martha and Charles P., both deceased. Mr. Forman now, at the age of 74 years, is as active as a boy. He is a member of the Westbrook Masonic lodge of Nichols, and is now its oldest member.

The first ancestor of the Lounsberrys of Nichols that can be definitely traced is Richard, probably the English emigrant, whom Dutchess county records showed to have lived there in 1648. He moved to Putnam county in 1660, and later to Rye, Westchester county, where he lived from 1672 until his death in 1693. He married Elizabeth DuBois, a member of a rich Hugenot family that was driven from France by Catholic persecution, and were later wealthy silk manufacturers in Holland. Family tradition claims their descent from a knight serving under William the Conqueror in 1060. The Nichols line comes down through Michael Lounsberry, son of Richard. who was born about 1685 and died in 1731. He moved to Stamford, Conn., as early as 1703 and bought land there. On June 19, 1707, he married Sarah, daughter of Lieut. Jonathan, and granddaughter of Robert Lockwood, who came from England to Watertown, Mass., with Winthrop about 1630. Their children are Elizabeth and Sarah, born June 13, 1708; Michael, born January 23, 1709, died November 16, 1730; Jemima, born March 17, 1711; Joshua, born July 1, 1716; Monmouth, born December 23, 1717; Nehemiab, born December 23, 1718; Abigail, born September 11, 1719; Jonathan, born October 20, 1721, died 1791. Monmouth married in 1738 and had these children: Thomas, born January 16, 1739; Elizabeth, born July 25, 1741, died young; Benjamin, Sr., born December 23, 1742; died in 1771; Michael, born September i2, 1744; Elizabeth, born September 6, 1746 ; Monmouth, born July 31, 1748; William, born February 28, 1749, died young; Jemima, born December 4, 1751; William, born August 5, 1753; Tamar, born September 11, 1755; and Abigail, birth unknown.

BENJAMIN LOUNSBERRY, JR., was born April 11, 1767, in Stamford, Conn., and died in Nichols, May 31, 1857. After his father's death his mother married Jonathan Platt, and moved to Bedford, Westchester county, this state, where they lived until 1794, when they came to Nichols where Mr Platt had purchased a large tract of land in 1793. Benjamin had married in 1792 Elizabeth, a daughter of Mr. Platt by his first wife. Their children were Harriet (Mrs. J. W. Laning), born June 7, 1793; Hannah (Mrs. Samuel H Dunham), born May 23, 1795, Platt, born September 18, 1797, Charles, born July 19, 1800, Horace, born December 12, 1804, Benjamin, 2d, born May 4, 1807, died September 20, 1888, James, born October 7, 1809; William, born December 6, 1812, died July 12, 1887, and Norman, born May 7, 1815. Platt Lounsberry, son of Benjamin, Jr., was born in Nichols and was a farmer in that town all of his life. By his wife, Sarah Laning, he had these children, Sarah (Mrs. Robert Howell), Platt, Mary, Amos, Horace, Prudence (Mrs. James Morey), Betsey (Mrs. Andrew Hunt), Benjamin, Harriet, George, and Enoch.

WILLIAM LOUNSBERRY, son. of Benjamin, Jr., passed his life on the old homestead at Lounsberry Station, married, first, Sarah Raymond, who was mother of his three children: William R., Edward W., born Oct. 2, 1850, died March 2, 1864, and Jennie (Mrs. David T. Easton), born February 24, 1855. William R. Lounsberry was born on the ancestral acres at Lounsberry Station in Nichols on April 30, 1846, and has made his home there during his life, devoting himself wholly to the cultivation of the soil. On November 3, 1874, he was married with Mary, daughter of William McKerlie, of Waterford, Ont.

CLARK HYATT, sonof John and Rachel (Clark) Hyatt, was born at Shrub Oak, Westchester county, N. Y., July 31, 1793. His grandfather, Joshua Hyatt, was an officer in the revolutionary army. Clark Hyatt came to Nichols, N. Y., in 1815. In 1822 he married Anna Forman, daughter of Miles Forman, of the town of Nichols. He bought out squatter claims on Coxe's patent and cleared a large farm of 340 acres. He sold his farm in 1867 and removed to Flint, Mich., where he subsequently died. Clark Hyatt was appointed judge of the county court of Tioga county by Gov. William C. Bouck in. 1844, and served during the time limited by the constitution. He was one of the best and most prosperous farmers of the county, and was much respected. To the poor and needy he always extended a helping hand, and his hospitality was unbounded. He left one son, Ferris Forman Hyatt, who died in Flint, Mich., some years ago.

GEORGE WALKER (WALGER) a German, was settled in 1774 near the mouth of Nescopeck creek in Northumberland (now Luzerne) county, Pa., owned a farm and soon thereafter built a log gristmill. It is said that he was a soldier in the militia defending Wyoming at the "massacre" July 3, 1778. About 1780 he removed to Salem, Pa., and owned land and another gristmill which was burned. This land he leased in, or near, 1788 to one Jacob Shaffer, just as he was embarking his family for a home further up the Susquehanna. Tradition says that this lease ran for ninetynine years and that the consideration was "a hat full of silver poured into his wife's apron." He made his new home (109 years ago) in an unbroken wilderness on the river flats in Nichols, just south of Osborn Station. Here he cleared a farm, soon replaced his first log house by comfortable buildings, erected a sawmill and a distillery. His first purchase was "patent No. 2," 213 acres, the next " patent No. 1," of 362 acres. About 1800 he bought 513 acres on Cayuta creek of John Cántine, on which in 1808 he built a grist mill which was kept in the family nearly fifty years. Mr. Walker was of the best class of the frugal, industrious Hollander, with a large dash of Yankee enterprise in his make-up. He died on April 16, 1812. Of his large family, Betsey, born Nescopeck, 1800, married in Nichols George W. Haines, has descendants in this county. Samuel, born Salem,. September 16, 1788, always lived onthe homestead farm in Nichols and died September 12, 1848. Mary, born on this same farm, October 29, 1789, married Willard Hunt, always resided on the farm where she was born, and died July 26, 1866. Elias, born July 15, 1792, died in Factoryvilie, October 30, 1851. George, born in 1795, died February 14, 1837, at Factoryville. Joim, born in 1798, about 1822 settled in Ohemung where he died. Samuel, born Salem, Pa., died in Nichols, where he also was, a farmer and lumberman through life. June 14, 1812, he married Sally Schoonover, born in Newtown, N. J., August 25, 1792, died January 5, 1879. Children: Jane B., (married Dr. William Kiff of Athens, Pa.) Charles, Frances (died young), Daniel B., Henry, William K., Adelia (married Isaac Terwiffiger) and Alonzo P., Elias Walker, born on the Nichols homestead July 15, 1792, died Factoryville, October 30, 1851. He operated the grist mill on Cayuta creek the most of his wife He married Mary Whittaker, born January 20, 1804, died January 15, 1890. Children: Emily (Mrs. Nelson Stewart), Mary E. (Mrs. Henry S. Davis); Horace M., Wffliam E., John W., Lewis, Sarah S. (Mrs. Adolphus G. Allen), Eliza, Julia (Mrs. Henry Walker), Amelia A. (Mrs. A. Wffloughby Blakely). George Walker, Jr,, born March 5, 1795, diethFebruary 14, 1837, Inherited and settled on part of the Oayuta creek farm, where he became wealthy. He married Zullimma W., daughter of Major Zephon Flower, a revolutionary soldier and a surveyor at Athens for fifty years. She was born April 6, 1800, in Sheshequin, Pa., died Waverly, N. Y., September 1, 1852. Children: Glencarn, Leonora (Mrs. Joseph P. Cox), Leander, farmer, lumberman, merchant, lives north of Waverly village on part of the old Walker homestead. He married Julia W., daughter George Hanna, whose father, John, was a revolutionary soldier and a large owner of land in Effistown, her place of birth. Zephon F., a noted surveyor and civil engineer of this section, married Rebecca M., daughter of Amos Franklin. Her great-grandfather, Col. John Franklin, was a revolutionary patriot and captain of a company which reached Wyoming a day after the "massacre." Thaddeus S., a farmer and merchant of Waverly, married Ambrosia M.. daughter of George Hanna. Helen Marion B. (Mrs. Horace Whittaker) of Waverly. George C., a meichant-broker of Detroit, Mich. Portia Z., born November 8, 1834, died Waverly, August 30, 1852.

JONATHAN HUNT, born in Boston, Mass., about 1760, came from Bedford, N. Y., to Nichols in 1797, and located one mile below the village. He was a soldier under Gen. Warren at Bunker Hifi and fought during the revolution. He married Millicent Brown, and had nine children, Ebenezer, Mary, Willard, John, Adonijah, Jonathan, Irena, Seth and Harvey. He and his sons did well their part as pioneers and made great rents in the thick forests of the town, he and Jonathan, Jr., building mills on the site now occupied by Hunt's mills. He died at an old age.

EBENEZER HUNT, son of Jonathan, was born May 6, 1783, in Bedford, came to Nichols with or soon after his father,. and here he was married with Mrs. Abigail (Dodd) White, daughter of Stephen Dodd, and here he made his home for life, dying in 1856. His wife survived him ten years. They had six children, Williston, Henderson, Phebe, Abigail, Eliza J., and Ebenezer. Of these two now survive, Ebenezer and Eliza J., who married a Schoonover. [The Schoonovers were early (about 1791) settlers in the town of Tioga. James Schoonover made his home where Nicholas Schoonover now resides. His descendants are quite numerous and are mostly farmers.] Ebenezer Hunt, Jr., was born March 27, 1825, in Nichols, acquired a good education in the common schools, became a farmer, for several years taught school, and for two terms was school trustee. Mr. Hunt has been a successful farmer and a worthy citizen, and is now residing on the same ground where he was born.

STEPHEN DODD was of English descent. His parents were early settlers in New Jersey. They came to Wyoming some time after the massacre, and from there to this town, where he took up a lot of wild land. He was a farmer and had six children, Stephen, Joseph, Abigail, Phebe, Anna and Jeremiah. He was a quiet, law abiding citizen of industrious habits.

The Dunham family has been well represented in Nichols, nine brothers coming hither between 1812 and 1836, of whom five made here their permanent homes. Sylvanus Dunham, their father, born in 1754, in England, settled at East Town, Saratoga county, was a captain in the revolutionary army. Here he kept many horses, imported from England. He removed to Madison county in 1806 and owned a ferry on North river. He was at one time very wealthy, but had little at his death, September 4, 1814, at 60 years. He married Mrs. Ursula (Wright) Gilbert. They had thirteen children. The sons were Henry, Isaac, Wright, Sylvanus, Nathaniel, Ebenezer, Daily, Sidney and Nelson. Mr. Dunham was buried in the Indian Opening at Madison. Mrs. Dunham survived him, lived long in. Nichols with her sons Daily and Wright, and was buried in "the Dunham burying ground." Henry Dunham married Amelia Wright and settled on Wappesening creek, on the farm his son George now occupies. Isaac Dunham, son of Sylvanus, married Sally Allerton, December 16, 1810, in Madison, N. Y., where he owned a farm until 1856, when he removed to Nichols, the last of the family to leave Madison county. • He bought "the old Major Platt farm," was one of the most prosperous men in the Susquèhanna valley, and died in 1869. 'His children were Sarah Ann, married William M. Davis, and lives in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Emily, married Daniel F. Kellard, and lives in Chittenango, N. Y.; Henry, settled in Wisconsin, near Milwaukee; Harvey W., of Nichols; Isaac; Parmelia, married William Russell, of Windham, Pa.; David, settled in Windham; Deidamia, married Clinton Sage, railroad contractor, and lives in Norwich, Chenango county; Elbret (deceased), settled in Lincoln, Neb.

SYLVANUS DUNHAM, Son of Sylvan us and Ursula Dunham, had children Mary E., Henry, Fred, Susie E., Charles S. and Frances E. Charles Sumner Dunham was born in Nichols, October 12, 1846, and was married to Melissa, daughter of Amos and Lucinda (Smith) Lane, on July 8, 1866. Theyhave had two children, Frank F., born April 15, 1869, and Fred S. Dunham, born November 16, 1871, who was educated in the common schools. He was married with Kate, daughter of John and Jane (Pearl) Smith, October 26, 1893. They have two children Smith F., born October 10, 1894, and George P., born July 10, 1896. Mr. Dunham fromthetimehe was nineteen years old has been engaged in farming. In February, 1895, he was elected tax collector of the town, which position he continues to hold. John Smith, son of Samuel and Fanny (Knapp) Smith, was born in 1797. His children were Lucinda, Cornelia, Fanny, George (deceased), Adaline, (deceased), Charles, Aimira, Emily, John, Joseph, Ann and Harvey R. Smith. Lucinda was married with Amos Lane on January 18, 1832. They had seven children, Amanda, George, Emeline (deceased), Melinda (deceased), Warren, Melissa and Anna.

GEORGE KIRBY came to Nichols from Great Barrington, Mass., in 1814, and from that time the family has been prominently connected with the town, and ifiled a large place in its history. George, a shoemaker, early built a tannery and later a shoe manufactory, built the first steam mill of Nichols, and was busy in other ways. Allen B. Kirby, the present popular agent of the D., L. & W. at Nichols, was born here on April 10, 1857, and was educated at the
village schools and academy. From 1872 until 1882 he was a clerk and bookkeeper, and then was made the station agent. Fifteen years of faithful service attest to his ability. On April 7, 1881, he was married with Margaret, daughter of H. C. Clapp. Mr. Kirby is also a dealer in salt, lime, cement, plaster, and brick, besides being a real estate operator in Nichols and Buffalo. He has been a "mason" since 1887, when he joined Westhrook lodge, was its master in 1891, 1892, 1896 and 1897. He is a member of New Jerusalem chapter, Royal arch Masons, of Owego.

STEPHEN MOREY, son of Joseph and Sarah (Sutherland) Morey, was born November 10, 1806, at Duane, Schoharie county, and on February 4, 1834, was married with Frances, daughter of James and Amelia (Laning) Howell. Their only child, James H. Morey, was born August 4, 1835. He married Prudence, daughter of Platt and Sarah (Laning) Lounsberry, and had three children, George, born. November 15, 1858, died February 10, 1859; Freddie, born July 25, 1860, died February 28, 1861; Fred H., born November 10, 1863, died October 17, 1881. Stephen Morey died May 30, 1894. His wife died May 2, 1895. James H. Morey was born in Nichols, but when ten years old went to Windham township in Bradford county, Pa., where he resided until 1895, when he moved to his present home at Lounsberry.

CHARLES P. LANING, son of John W., was born in Nichols on April 25, 1827. He has always resided in the town and been a carpenter and builder. He has been a justice of the peace for eight years, and supervisor of Nichols since 1890. He married Margaret Wheelhouse, and has one child, Caroline J.

SIDNEY H. LATHAM was born June 19, 1843, in Plainfield, Mass. He enlisted in Co. G., 49th Mass., September 1, 1862, and served one year. In 1866 he came to Nichols and engaged in mercandising with Mr. Eben Dunham for six years. In 1873 he bought an interest in the drug business and was in partnership with his father-in-law, Henry Cady, and is now in the business. He has been school trustee since 1884 ; was president of the board in 1893 and now holds that position. He is also trustee of the Presbyterian church, is one of the elders of the church and was superintendent of the Sunday school eighteen years.

OLIVER A. BARSTOW, son of Dr. Samuel and Lavina (Wilcox) Barstow, was born in Great' Barrington, Mass., November 30, 1809. He came to Nichols in 1825 when a boy to live with his uncle, Dr. Gamaliel Barstow. In 1835 he married Frances, daughter of Edmund and Rachel (Coryell) Palmer and lived at Nichols, where he was engaged in merchandising and lumbering. He was one of the prominent men, was in the assembly two terms, justice of the peace for many years and also supervisor.

JOHN YEARSLEY, son of William, was born March 16, 1824, in Watervliet, N. Y., where he gained a common school education and engaged in fanning which vocation he has since followed. On December 14, 1854, he was married with Mary A., daughter of Philip and Mary (Saddlemire) Groat. Their children are Mary L. (Mrs. Frank McNeil), William P., Aaron, Frank, Fred and Ella M. William P. Yearsley was born in Apalachin, this county, on June 26, 1858. After receiving a common school education, he secured employment with Col. B. F. Tracy of Owego and was for seven years connected with the care, management and training of his blooded horses. He then worked for one year on the stock farm of Henry Jewett in East Aurora, when he became superintendent of Gerhard Lang's stock farm near Buffalo, N. Y., for about four years. The health of both himself and wife becoming poor they returned to Apalachin, where Mr. Yearsley engaged in training trotting horses. After "handling" five trotters, he sold them and purchased the American House at Nichols and is now its proprietor. He was married with Mary, daughter of William and Sarah (Bates) Glaim, at Apalachin, in May, 1883. Mr. Yearsley is a popular and successful landlord, sometimes trades in horses, and has an extensive and pleasant acquaintance.

JOHN BARR, son of George and Mary (Eicher) Barr, was born January 1, 1823, in Bion, Germany. He came to America in 1844, and worked as a laborer in Syracuse, N. Y., for four years. In 1849 he came to the town of Barton and bought ten acres of land which he worked for some years. In 1868 he came to Washburn Hill (now called Mt. Pleasant) where he purchased a farm and has resided since following farming as his business. He married first, in June 1846, Mary Tay, by whom he had nine children, Barbara, John, George, Hattie, Della, Emma, Frank, Lawrence, and Kate. Mrs. Mary Barr died on Easter Sunday, 1883. Mr.; Barr married, second, Carrie, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth (Measer) Riddell, who was born September 14, 1842. They have no children.

WARREN A. SMITH, son of Samuel D. and Fannie (Knapp) Smith, was born February 18, 1862, in the town of Tioga. When eight years old he came with his father to Nichols where he attended the common school until eighteen years old, and then enjoyed the educational advantages of the academies at Owego and Waverly, until he was twenty-one years old. From that time for several years he conducted farming for his father, who was an invalid. He then purchased the Henry Kirby farm on the river road, and is still in possession of it. Mr. Smith was elected justice of the peace in 1884 and served eight years. At the time of his first election, the republican party had 250 majority in the town, and his election on the democratic ticket demonstrates his popularity. When he was again elected in February 1896 he was the republican candidate. Mr. Smith was deputy-postmaster of Nichols during President Cleveland's first term of office, from 1888 to 1892. In 1892 he was the democratic candidate for road commissioner and although confined at the time, to his house by sickness only lacked three votes of an election. He is a lover of good horses and is oftentimes called "Jockey Smith." A friend says: "He makes a trade when he can, but is not like most jockeys. He will not 'beat' a man unless he comes to 'beat' him.

SAMUEL D. SMITH, son of Richard and Catharine (Decker) Smith, was born in 1819 in the town of Tioga, but resided from early childhood in Nichols. He was a lumberman and farmer, and owned the land at Lounsberry, formerly Canfield Corners, previously the property of Ezra Canfield, who built the brick house, so long occupied by Mr. Smith. In 1865 he was president of the Tioga county agricultural society.

NOAH WASHBURN, son of Henry. and Sarah (Schoonover) Washburn, was born November 16, 1804, in New Jersey. He was married with Elizabeth, daughter of George Hadlock, and they had eight children, Mira, John, Charlotte, Phebe A., C. Edward, Rachel S., George H., and Lucy. Rachel S. Woodard was born March 4, 1846, in the town of Nichols and was married with Delbert, son of Thaddeus Woodard, May 27, 1891. They have an adopted son, Harry Newman. Mr. Woodard was born March 15, 1866, in Wayerly, and was educated in the common schools of Chemung. He has made, farming his life business, with the exception of four years when he worked in Rochester as a moulder. Mr. and Mrs.. Woodard now live on the old homestead on Washburn 'Hill, now called Mt. Pleasant.

JOHN H. WASHBURN, son of Nicholas and Mercy (Hoover) Washburn, was born on May 14, 1842, on Washburn Hill in Nichols. After gaining a common school education, on December 23, 1863,. he enlisted' in the union army, serving eighteen months. Since returning to civil life Mr. Washburn has been a farmer on the old homestead, never marrying, but devoting his time to the keeping up of the old farm and to the quiet duties of a good citizen.

WILLIAM WASHBURN, son of Nicholas and Mercy (Hoover) Washburn, was born December 9, 1846, in Nichols, where he attended the common schools and gained a, common school education. He then enlisted in the late war in Co. B., 64th N. Y. Vols., on August 1864. He was discharged in June, 1865, and after, returning to civil life engaged in farming. He married Sarah, daughter of Cornwell and Rachel (Washburn) Ellis, May 10, 1868. She died May 14, 1887. 'They had three children, Franklin J., born August 19, 1874; Winnie, born July 4, 1877 ; Bertha M., born July 7, 1880, (all living). Mr. Washburn has always resided 'in the town of Nichols, and his grandfather was one of the first settlers.' His home is on a part of the old homestead on Washburn Hill.

JOSEPH LANE, son of Peter and Elizabeth Lane, was born November 9, 1808. He married, first, Eliza Cary, who died in 1838; for his second wife he married Susan Lane, by whom he had three children, David, Joseph,, and Estella, the last two dying in early childhood. David Lane, son of Joseph, was born November 2, 1845, in Shendaken, Pa., and after his 'father's death he came to Nichols and lived with his uncle, Ezra Reed. Here he was educated in the common schools and brought. up a farmer. When the civil war broke out, and while under sixteen years of age, he enlisted on October 5, 1861, in Co. U., 5th N. Y. Cay., and had along and faithful service until he was discharged on July 20, 1865. He received. one wound. Mr. Lane was married on March 30,, 1866, with Sarah E. Ferris, by whom he had one son, Bert, born February 18, 1867. (Her grandfather, Peleg Berry, was a soldier of the revolution.) Horace Ferris married Amanda Spicer on October 31, 1841. His son, Stanley Ferris, born July 10, 1843, died October 7, 1876. (A local bard preserves the memory of the event in several stanzas,, which we have not space to give.) Sarah E. Ferris was born September 4, 1845; Melissa E. Ferris was born March 8, 1848; Phebe A. Ferris was born February 3, 1852; Harry Ferris (adopted son) was born July 10, 1870. Horace Ferris, died in April, 1891, aged 80 years. Stanley Ferris died October 17, 1876. Phebe Ferris died October 8, 1852.

THOMAS H. WATERMAN, son of Hiram and Rachel A. (Decker) Waterman, was born July 6, 1850, in Nichols, where he was educated in the common schools. When sixteen years old he engaged in farming, which vocatjon he followed until 1888, when he became sexton of the Nichols cemetery. He has held this posi. tion since, and the fine appearance and artistic arrangement of the grounds under his care show that no better qua]ified person could be found for the purpose. He was married with Frances E., daughter of William and Martha L., (Torrey) Shaw, on October 4, 1877. They have an adopted.. son, Ora Henry Longcoy, born March 12, 1875. Mrs. Waterman was born August 9, 1849, in Orange county, at the ancestral home and in the same house where her grandfather, her father and all of her uncles and aunts were born.

ELLIS H. KEENER, son of Daniel and Celinda (Stone) Keener, was born April 24, 1844, in the town of Tioga, and was married with Betsey J., daughter of Horace and Mary (Waterman) Cole in 1873. They have five children, Cora, (Mrs. Charles Burgess) born December 7, 1875, Daniel, born July 28, 1879, Susie, born March 7, 1882, Harvey, born September 3, 1884, and Nathan, born February 2, 1887. Mr. Keener enlisted in Co.'B., 85th New York Engineers in August, 1861, transferred later to Co. K., 50th New York. Engineers, and served until honorably discharged December 30, 1863. Re-enlisting on the same day, he was discharged the second time in June, 1865. Mr. Keener. learned the painter's trade of Charles Warwick, and worked for him for three years, with the painter's trade he has adopted carpentry and is a jobber. He purchased a lot on Sanket Creek and built him a pleasant home, where he now resides. Daniel Keener, son of Michael and Rachel (White) Keener, was married about 1838, and had three children, Charles, Ellis H., and Susan. Charles enlisted with his father in Co. B., 107 New York Regiment, in the civil war, and was killed at Allatoona, Ga. Daniel, his father, served until the close of the war, and was discharged in June, 1865. Thus the father and his two sons at the same time wore the soldier's honored badge. Susan married William Lutz and subsequently moved to Ohio.

OLIVER PEARL, of English descent, came from Hartford, Coun., and settled at Briggs Hollow about 1817. His children were Daniel, Walter, Cyril, Oliver, Mrs. Mercy Fuller and Mrs. Hannah Baker. Cyril Pearl married Rosanna Farmer. Of their children these attained mature life: Walter H., Loring C., John F., Austin, Thomas F., Rosanna J. Walter H. Pearl married Catharine Rapplegee. They had seven children: Cyril, Emma J., George, Myron W., Marcella, Mary M. and Hattie, who died in the war time. Jeremiah Rapplegee came from the valley of the Hudson to Nichols in 1833. He was 'probably of Huguenot extraction.' He married Sally Styles and had three children, Catharine, Wffliam (died in Geneva in 1853) and Harriet.

DR GEORGE PARSONS CADY was born January 1, 1834, at Windsor, on top of the Berkshire Hills, in Massachusetts., His father; William Cady, and mother, Junia Parsons, were of pure Puritan blood, and each a grandchild of a revolutionary soldier. Dr. Cady commenced his higher education for the ministry at Hinsdale, Mass., but before he had finished his course over-study brought on illness from which he never fully recovered. When his health improved he visited his uncle, Dr. George M. Cady, at Nichols, and took up the study of medicine. He graduated as M. D. November 1, 1855, at the Berkshire, Mass., medical college, with high honors. He entered into partnership with his uncle at Nichols and remained with him till nearly the time of the death of Dr.. George M. Cady. Dr. George P. Cady was eligible to the society of the Sons of the Revolution, as his great-grandfathers, Eleazer Cady, Jonathan Marsh and Joseph Parsons, were each in the revolutionary war, Mr. Parsons answering to the alarm call of Paul Revere at Lexington. November 18, 1856, Dr. Cady married Susan, daughter of Nehemiah Platt, one of the most prominent residents of Nichols, and began medical practice, in which he continued until his death, May, .19, 1891. He became one of the best known and most skillful practitioners in southern New York, his practice also extending far into Pennsylvania. Twenty-seven of his medical students have become graduates and some occupy high places. A staunch republican and enterprising, he did much for the town and county. He was long years a trustee of the Nichols union school, an honored member and long time treasurer of Westbrook Masonic lodge, of Nichols, and a member and trustee of the Presbyterian church of Nichols. He was for two years president of the Tioga county medical society, twice a delegate to the American Medical association,' and twice to the State Medical association. He was also United States pension examiner and for years a coroner of this county.

DR. GEORGE MARVIN CADY, son of Dr. George P. and Susan (Platt) Cady, was born September 23, 1865, in Nichols. Re attended the common schools of, Nichols, continued' his education at Binghamton and Owego, and, when seventeen years old, entered the University of New York, where he was graduated March 7, 1887. He attended lectures and clinics at Bellevue hospital and others of New York city for about eighteen months, and returned to Nichols and permanently located for medical practice, first in 1887 as partner with his father until his death, since which time be has been alone. Dr. Cady was married April 20, 1887, with Miss Fronie Harris, daughter of Nathaniel and Elizabeth (Corsey) Harris. One child, Junia, was born to them July 27, 1890, which died June 21, 1891. Dr. Cady was postmaster under President Harrison and was president of the Tioga county medical society in 1894 and 1895. A staunch republican, he is county committeeman. In 1894 and 1895 he held the office of school trustee.

DR. JOHN EVERITT, born in Sharon, Litchfield county, Oonn., was educated in the schools of his birthplace and taught school for some years. Not being satisfied with the education he had acquired he took a medical course in the New Haven medical college where he graduated. He then came to Nichols and entered medical practice with Dr. Barstow. In 1818 he married Sally, daughter of Emanuel Coryell. They had eight children, of whom Elmore Everitt was born October 5, 1823, and married Alice, the widow of James O. Sherwood, for his second wife. His first wife was Myra A. Johnson, by whom there are two children.

WALTER C. EVERITT, M. D., son of Elmore and Myra A. (Johnson) Everitt, was born in Nichols, June 27, 1871. After a preliminary education he attended the University of New York and was graduated from the medical department May 1, 1894. He is now in a successful. practice at his birth place. He married February 20, 1895, Lizzie V., daughter of Oliver P. Harris.

DR. EDWARD EVERETT PEASE, son of Levi and Betsey (McCarthy) Pease, was born October 24, 1852, in Windharn, Bradford county, Pa. He attended the common schools of his birthplace and a select school in Rome, Pa. When sixteen years old he began his medical education in the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, where he was graduated in March, 1873. After practicing medicine for a time in Liverpool, Fulton county, Illinois, he located at Smithboro, and in 1874 formed a partnership with Dr. George P. Cady in Nichols, which continued until in 1882 they dissolved partnership. Dr. Pease is now one of Tioga's veteran physicians. He has practiced medicine in Nichols twenty-three years, has been vice-president of the Tioga county medical society, and was coroner of the county in 1888, and is at present pension examiner. Dr. Pease was marries October 24, 1876 to Laura Elsbree, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Burgess) Elsbree.

Return to [Tioga County Bios] [ Online Biographies ] [ New York History ]

.Blind Counter

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy