Bios of men from Spencer, NY



ISAAC S. STANCLIFT, who came to Spencer in 1844 to peddle goods for Lucius Emmons, and who, from that to the present time has been an important factor both in vifiage and town history, was a native of Halifax, Windham county, Vt., born February 22, 1825, the son of James Stanclift. The family had formerly lived in Connecticut and thence emigrated to Vermont; but when Isaac was about fourteen years old his father and family returned to Connecticut, and there Isaac lived until he came to Spencer. He was in Mr. Emmon's employ on the road and in the store for ten or twelve years when in the spring of 1860, Leonard Fisher, Myron B. Ferris and Mr. Stanclift organized the firm of L. Fisher & Co., and from that time to the present, with the changes noted in the chapter on the town of Spencer, Mr. Stanclift has been in active and constant business in the village. He has been otherwise identified with local history ; was supervisor several years; town clerk fourteen years, and one of the best incumbents of that office in the history of Spencer; was auditor several years; village trustee two terms; member of the board of education for more than seventeen years, and for the last fourteen years president of the board. More than this, he has been identified with every impor tant measure having for its object the welfare of the town, and in Tioga county politics has been one of the leaders of the democratic party. He was nominated for county treasurer by the democratic county convention in 1869 or 1870, and, in 1873, he was nominated for member of assembly, but of course was defeated, as were all other democrats in Tioga county. On September 15, 1853, Mr. Stanclift was married with Jane A.,. the daughter of John Cowell, one of the old and substantial pioneers of Spencer. Five children were born of this marriage of whom three died young. The eldest surviving child was Henry Clay Stanclift, a graduate of Cornell, and who was afterward further educated at Leipsie and Berlin, a graduate of the latter famous institution with a degree of Ph. D. His present position is that of professor of history in the Northwestern university at Evanston, Ill., near Chicago. The daughter, Elizabeth Standlift, was graduated at Oneonta normal school in 1895, and in September of the next year began teaching in the Binghamton public schools.

S. ALFRED SEELY, to whom belongs the honor of having built up and kept up the business standing of that interesting part of Spencer village which is frequently called Seely Town, has lived in Spencer nearly twenty-five years, but was a native of Newfield. He lived on a farm until about twenty years old, and was educated in the district school and the Ithaca High school. . In 1863 Mr. Seely began his business life as lumberman in partnership with his brother, Seymour Seely, their mill being near Elmira. In .1874 the firm removed to Spencer where was purchased from Joshua Thmp kins and B. Spaulding, a considerable tract of land on the west border of the village. At that time West Hill. as sometimes called, was densely wooded in places and elsewhere covered with "slashing." The firm built a good sawmffl and began work; was in active service operation until 1886 and then dissolved, S. Alfred Seely continuing the miffing enterprises, which then comprised the large sawmffl and a fairly large gristmill. These properties are owned and operated by Mr. Seely at this time, and under him both have been materially enlarged in capacity and output. Mr. Seely is, withal, one of the busiest men in this part of the county; generous, public-spirited and liberal in every worthy cause. The new Grove Hotel, which he built in 1890 is one of the best in the county. As is fully mentioned in the history of the town, Mr. Seely is interested in several other business enterprises than those noted here, and has shown himself in all respects a useful and worthy citizen. These things may and must be said in justice to the man and work he has done for Spencer, and that despite the fact that he is comparatively young and full of business energy. In the county Mr. Seely is also known as an active temperance man, and a devoted member of the Baptist church, having been superintendent of the Sunday-school for twenty-one years. November 10, 1880, Mr. Seely was married with Mary S. Williams of Romulus, by whom he has had three children, Grace, Charles and Hart.

SEYMOUR SEELY came to Spencer in 1872 and built the mills which in after years made the name of Seely brothers known all through this part of the state, for their milling and lumbering enterprises were perhaps the largest in the region and their business was very extensive for many years ; and it was not until 1886 that the firm was dissolved. Seymour Seely took the land and farm interests previously belonging to the firm, while S. Alfred Seely took the mills. But Seymour Seely has proved as successful a farmer as he was mechanic or miller, and he is now the owner of about 1,500 acres of good land in this locality, over all of which he has personal supervision. When 28 years old Mr. Seely met with an accident in his mifi and nearly lost his life, and was indeed so seriously injured that physical labor has since been virtually impossible. Seymour Seely was born September 11, 1838. and up to the time he became of age worked for his father. He then learned the carpenter trade, worked at it about three years, and in 1863 began lumbering and milling near Elmira. In 1872 the firm of Seely Bros., of which he was the elder, made an extensive purchase of land in Spencer and this vicinity and he came to build the mills and begin the work by which the firm built up that part of the village which has been knownas Seelyville; a locality of Spencer in which the greatest amount of business is done. On January 16, 1861, Mr. Seely was married with Frances M. Drake, daughter of Deacon Drake, of Ithaca, of which marriage these children have been born; Fred, of Spencer; Carrie, wife of John M. Mosher, of Syracuse, and Nettie, who married with Dr. Thomas C. Washburne, of Spencer.

MARVIN D. FISHER, son of Leonard Fisher who is so frequently mentioned in the history of Spencer, was born in this town March 16, 1842. He was educated in the district school and at the age of 12 years began work in his father's store; and after his schooling was finished he acquired an interest in the business, and from that to the present time he has been known in mercantile life in the vifiage, a prosperous, progressive and successful manager; and today the firm of M. D. Fisher & Sons is known all through this part of the state, and it requires no emphasis when the statement is made that this firm has the largest and best stocked general country store in southern central New York. The present firm was formed in the fall of 1892, but Mr. Fisher's previous business career is so fully stated in the village chapter that repetition is not, necessary. In addition to his mercantile interests he is an extensive farmer of about 700 acres, and has a dairy of about 40 or 50 cows. More than this, he is regarded as a generous and public-spirited citizen, interested in all that pertains to the best interests of the town or village. He is one of the strongest democrats in the north part of the county, but has never been an aspirant for political honors. However, he was appointed postmaster in 1885, was out during Mr. Harrison's presidency, but otherwise has held the office to the present time. He was the first president of the bank at Spencer and is now its cashier; has been member of the school board since 1870; a member of long standing in the local masonic lodge, and for 25 years a member of the Presbyterian church. On October 16, 1863, Mr. Fisher was married with Susan Catharine Ferris, daughter of Joshua Ferris, of Spencer.. Of this marriage six children have been born, the first two of whom died young. The others were Sarah Louisa, wife of George E. Jones; Myron L., in business with his father; Henry L., who also is one of the firm, and A. Max Fisher, a student.

MYRON B. FERRIS, son of Joshua H. and Louisa (Fisher) Ferris, and grandson of Joshua Ferris, the pioneer, and first town clerk of Spencer, was a native of this town,. born April 22, 1835. He was given the benefit of a good elementary education at Ithaca, after which he was for several years clerk in mercantile stores at Owego and Elmira, but at length returned to Spencer and became partner with C. J. Fisher; and from that time to 1884 he was in some direct manner identified with mercantile life in the village, though with various partners. In 1886 he became connected with the Farmers' and Merchants' bank and is now its assistant cashier though performing all the duties of cashier. In politics Mr. Ferris has always been a firm and consistent democrat, and has been frequently called upon to stand as his party's candidate for public office; was supervisor in 1878-81; a candidate for member of assembly in 1882 and was beaten-by only 27 votes by a. candidate as strong as J. B. Floyd. However in' 1883 the two were again opposing nominees for the office and Mr. Ferris was elected, and enjoys the distinction of having been one of the very few democratic nominees to be elected to the assembly from Tioga county during the last forty years. On November 12, 1861, Myron B. Ferris was married with Hannah M. Cooper, and to them three children have been born: Nathan B., born March 21, 1863, died October 28, 1896; Stella, born December 17, 1865, wife of D. C. Durham, of Greenville, S. C.; and Frank H. Ferris, born September 12, 1869, a graduate of Cornell and now a lawyer in Corning.

THOMAS BROOK, president of the bank at Spencer, is one of the best representatives of the essentially self-made man to be found in either village or town. He was the son of John Brock, an early settler in Spencer, and was born September 30, 1834. His limited early education was acquired in the school at Crumtown, but at the age of about 12 or 14 years he began lumbering at Park station, Schuyler county. At 15 he began buying cattle, not having any ready cash, but his father endorsed for him to the extent of $2,400. This of course Thomas paid, but upon the start thus given him he has built and enlarged and he is now one of the first men in the town in point of possessions and wealth; and what is equally irn.. portant in Mr. Brock's career thus far is the fact that he does not take an unfair advantage of an unfortunate debtor. He is the owner of six good farms, all well stocked and well cultivated, and all under his immediate supervision. His business hours are from five in the morning until bed-time at night. Industry has been the secret of Thomas Brock's success in life. In 1861 he was married with Jerusha Ennis, daughter of Daniel Ennis. They have no children.

DEMSTER N. GUINNIP, president of Spencer village, a native of Tompkins county, born at Dryden, was the son of George Guinnip, a well known cabinet-maker and painter, who came to Spencer in 1856 and lived in the village to the time of his death in 1893. George's children were Dempster N. and Louisa, both now of Spencer. Dempster learned the trade with his father and has always done business in this village. He is known as a generous and public-spirited man, interested in Spencer and the town at large. He is one of the firmest republicans in the vifiage, which is evenly divided politically, yet it is a fact that when Mr. Guinnip is a candidate party lines have been disregarded. He was elected justice, but did not qualify; was assessor one term, and has been member and secretary of the Spencer board of education for more than seventeen years. In 1861 Dempster N. Guinnip was married with Mary J. Bell, daughter of Robert Bell. They have one child, Helen, wife of Frank Hummiston, of Owego.

CHARLES JAMES FISHER was born in Spencer, September 20, 1816, and was the son of General George Fisher, the latter one of the foremost of the early settlers, and of whom much is said in the history of the town. Charles was born on the same lot and in the same house in which he now lives. Since 1852 he has been a merchant in the village, and is, perhaps, the oldest business man in the town. His stock at first consisted of general dry goods, but about 1866 he began seffing drugs. Mr. Fisher has ever been regarded as a conservative and safe business man,, taking no active part in public or political affairs yet much respected in the town for his known upright and honorable qualities. His wife was Ann Elizabeth Oarr, of Ithaca, Tompkins county, who came to teach in Spencer in the spring of 1852, and on October 27th of that year they were married. Children: Wffliam H., a physician of Elmira; George P., who removed to Idaho and died there, and Charles L., who died in infancy.

LUOMS EMMONS was born in Hartford county, Conn., April 3, 1810. He began his business life at Simsbury in 1842, and two years later came to Spencer and opened a store near the site of the Presbyterian church. In 1851 he bought from John A. Nichols the land whereon stands A. S. Emmons' splendid store and established a business which has been continued to the present time by the founder and his sons in succession. Mr. Emmons was stricken ill in July, 1857, and, did little business during the remaining years of his life, but his sons Alfred S. and Lucius E. took his place. He died in Spencer, March 9, 1864, after a busy and well-spent life. His wife was Nancy, daughter of Roger Vose, with whom he married July 4, 1839. Their children were: Sarah F., Alfred S., Louisa M., Lucius E., Charles H., Nancy J. and Cynthia J. Emmons.

ALFRED S. EMMONS, present proprietor of the large business founded by his father, was born June 16, 1842, in Simsbury, Conn., and after his elementary education was completed became a clerk in the store. His whole life has been that of a merchant, but aside from his regular work he has been an active factor in both town and county politics, a thorough republican, though in no sense an office-seeker. He has been a member of the republican county committee nearly ten years, was postmaster of Spencer through Harrison's administration, and has been a member of 'the Spencer board of education for the past twelve years. On October 23, 1873, Mr. Emmons married with Emma G. Rogers, by whom he has two children, Henry L. and Paul S. Emmons.

FRANK B. SMITH, son of Benjamin Smith, was born at Fleetville, Pa., on April 7, 1863. Coming to Lockwood on May 1, 1882, he there learned telegraphy, and has since pursued that employment for the Lehigh Valley railroad. His first location as an operator was at Geneva, on October 2, 1884. Here he remained four years, then was at Ithaca four years and from there was transferred to Spencer. Here he has had charge of both stations. Mr. Smith was united in marriage with Mary B. Mosher on April 16, 1885. They have two children, Roy M. and Ruth A. Mr. Smith is a valued member of both Masonic and Odd Fellow societies.

ALBERT LIVERMORE, who since 1884 has been pastor of the Presbyterian church at Spencer, was born in Spencer, Mass., September 3, 1843, and was the second of three children in the family of Lorenzo O. and Chloe D (Bemis) Livermore. Albert was educated at Wesleyan academy . at Wilberham, and was graduated at Amherst in 1868. Both before and after graduation Mr. Livermore taught school, and in the capacity of teacher was connected with some nota.ble institutions. He studied theology at Bangor, Me., and also at Andover Theological seminary, and was graduated at the latter in 1873. Previous, however, to entering the ministry Mr. Livermore had an army experience, having enlisted July 16, 1864, as private in Co. F, 60th Mass. regiment of 100 day volunteers. He was discharged November 30, 1864. His first pastorate was 'at Miller's Falls, Mass., after which 'he went west and served in the same capacity in New Richmond, Wis., four years; at St. Ignace, Mich., and also at Nashville and Wffliamston in that state until 1885 when he returned east and was called to the pastorate of the church at Spencer. On August 9th, 1884, Mr. Livermore was married with Mrs. Mary E. Austin Bell, widow of Robert Bell and daughter of Alvah Austin, an old resident of Spencer.

GEORGE M. PASHLEY, son of Hiram Pashley, was born in Dividing Creek, Cumberland county, N. J., August 22, 1867, and was educated in the schools of his native town. When he was twentyone years old he entered the printing office of the Elmer (N. J.) Times and there learned the printer's trade. In December, '92 he came to Spencer and purchased the Spencer Needle, established by W. R. Swartout, and is its present editor and proprietor. Mr. Pashley was married in August, 1894, with Bertie N. Goodspeed. Mable Rae Pashley is their only child. Mr. Pashley is an Odd Fellow, holding membership in Owasco Lodge.

CHARLES E. BUTTS, more familiarly known as Judge Butts, was born in Spencer June 7, 1880, and was the youngest but one of the children of Elihu Butts, the latter an early settler in the town and withal one of the most prominent and worthy men in this part of the county. However, so much is said of Elihu Butts in the history of the town that a repetition of the facts in this place is unnecessary; and in the history, of Spencer village Charles E. Butts is so frequently and extensively mentioned among the old business men that no reproduction of that busy career is needed here. He was brought up in Spencer, attended the district school, and then learned tanning with his father. In 1850, with his brother he took the business, carried it on for three years, then withdrew from the firm and went into mercantile business with C. J. Fisher. From that time to 1870 both in and outside of this county Mr. Butts was actively engaged in business occupations, and was, withal, an 'extensive and successful, manager. He was connected with half a dozen of business houses in Spencer village, was for five years in Owego in mercantile business, and during the war, bought horses and mules for the government. Taken altogether Judge Butts lived a very busy life until he returned to Spencer in 1870 on account of his father's failing health. In 1888 he bought the old, substantial and almost historic John McQuigg farm, situate, about a mile 'west of the village, and here, in one of the most comfortable farm dwellings in the county, and with every necessary element of comfort about him, Judge Butts has since lived. In politics he has always been an earnest and active democrat, but his office holdings have been limited to the position of justice of the peace, both by appointment and election. He is generous and public-spirited, and interested in the welfare of the town and village. The first maple trees were planted by him in front of the Presbyterian church and' also in front of his sister's house on Main street. Mr. Butts is one of the directors of the bank in the village. On September 22, 1852, Charles E. Butts was married with Maria S., daughter of Captain Ira Woodford, of Candor. Their three children were George Frederick, a farmer of Spencer; Thena J., who married with Rev. James Ryder (now deceased), a native of Nottingharn, Eng., and a clergyman of much prominence in the M. E. church; and Charles E. Butts, Jr., now of Ithaca. Captain Ira Woodford, who is mentioned among the pioneers in Candor, was among the, early settlers and a prominent figure. His title came from his connection with the militia. Both he and his wife died in Candor. His wife's name was Parthena Huribert, and their children were Susan, who married with Abram Kortright. and died September 30th, 1889; Julia, who died in 1874; Nathan H., who was sheriff in 1849-52, also, a prominent business man and who died in Candor; Mary W., who married with Orange Booth, and died February 6, 1885 ; John R., a drover and farmer, and who succeeded by purchase to the old home farm; Diadema, who died unmarried, and Maria S., who became the wife of Charles E. Butts.

JOHN M. STOW, SOil of Harvey P. and Margaret (Harder) Stow, was born in WIndsor, Broome county, N. Y., January 5, 1845. ,He was educated at the common schools. When a boy he went to Binghamton and learned the cabinet maker's trade. In 1867, he came to Spencer and formed a partnership with Harvey G. Fessenden, under the firm name of Fessenden & Stow, and carried on undertaking for one and one-half years, when he bought Fessenden's interest and carried on the business three years alone. He was elected justice of the peace in 1883, and was also appointed to fill a vacancy and was re-elected in 1887. He married Belle Robinson, daughter of Dana, of Candor, N. Y. They have three children, Ethel (wife of A.. F. Barrett, of Owego), Harry and Juanita. Mr. Stow is a member of Owasco Lodge, No. 697, I. 0. Q. F.

GEORGE WASHINGTON DAVIS, M. D., who, since January, 1883, has been a resident practicing physician at Spencer village, but who during that period has built up a remarkable reputation as specialist in the treatment of chronic diseases, and who as a physiologist and pathologist stands with the best physicians in the state, was a native of Wisconsin, born at Trenton, Dodge county, May 29. 1 p51. 'He was the son of Apollos and Olive Davis, and spent his young life on a farm. The family came east about 1858, settled at Ithaca, where the father died a year or two later. He attended district school and Ithaca academy, worked,, at whatever he could find to do, and' in 1878 began to study medicine, with Drs. Brown, Gilbert, Winslow, and Barney, in succession, covering a period of full four years. He entered the medical department of the University of Buffalo in 1880 and was graduated in 1882. His practice began, in Newfield and continued one year, when he came to Spencer; and all the county, and thousands living beyond its borders, know how successful that practice has been in the years following. In September, 1883, Dr. Davis was married with Ena J. Shepard, of VanEttenville, great granddaughter of John Underwood, one of the pioneers of Spencer. Of this marriage one child has been born.

THOMAS CATLIN WASHBURN was born in Spencer, October .4, 1861, and was the son of Wifiard. and Sarah (Decker) Washburn. The father was a substantial farmer of the town and was the son of one of the early settlers in this part of the county. He now lives at VanEtten. Thomas was educated at the VanEtten union school, was graduated at Albany normal college in 1885, and then for two years was principal of an academic school at Blue Point, Long Island. He read medicine with Dr. A. H. Terry, of Pátchogue, during the period of his teaching, and then entered Albany medical college from which he was graduated in 1889. The same year Dr. Washburn located at Spencer and has since practiced in the town and this part of the county. Abundant success has been his from every point of view, but Dr. Washburn is a young man with the future before him. He is interested in all 'that pertains to the welfare of the village and town. He has been elected trustee on the union ticket, and since January 1, 1895, has been county coroner. On October 20, 1891, Dr. Washburn was married with Nettie S., daughter of Seymour Seely. They have one child.

MARCUS ABNER DUMOND was born in Danby, October 19, 1852, and was the son of John Dumond, and the grandson of Isaac Dumond, the latter the first white male child born in Tompkins county; and Sally, sister to Isaac, was the first white female child born in the same territory. From this it will be seen that Dr. Dumond, of Spencer, is descended from pioneer stock in this part of the state; and what is equally notable, the ancestors and family were among the most influential and respected of the early settlers in the region. Marcus A. Durnond was the son of John and Sarah Dumond and the eldest of their five children. He lived at home on the farm until he was 22 years old acquired his early education in the district schools. He read medicine with Dr. John E. Beers, of honored memory, and attended both the Ohio and University of Buffalo medical, colleges, and was graduated at the latter in 1880. He at once began practice at West Danby and built up a desirable clientage in that town, but in 1892 he decided to remove to Spencer, and in that village he has since lived and established a reputation as a thorough and radical physician and surgeon which is both enviable and merited. Unlike many physicians, Dr. Dumond loves his profession, particularly the branch of practice relating to surgery, in which he is nothing if not radical and in which he has achieved a reputation for skill possessed by few physicians of his age and experience. His methods are advanced, his views are fixed but not arbitrary, and every element of his nature stamps him a man and physician of wholly independent character. Outside of his professiOn Dr. Dumond takes an active interest in local and public affairs, and has been for many years 'a strong republican, standing high in the councils of the party, and in a disinterested position for he has no political ambition to gratify. On April 3, 1875, Dr. Dumond was married with Augusta Thayer, of Danby, by whom lie has two children.

ROBERT H. FISHER, JR., M. D., of Spencer, son of Robert H. and Mary Hart Fisher, born in Spencer, September 20, 1872, and was educated at Spencer academy and university of Buffalo, graduating from' the medical department in May, 1895, graduated with first honors of class of '95 and practices his profession in Spencer.

DAVID WATKINS, son of William and Elizabeth (Mitchell) Watkins, was born June 12, 1821, in Athens, Bradford county, Pa. Receiving a common school education at the schools of Athens and Litchfield, he later became a pilot of lumber rafts on the Susquehanna from Tioga Point to Haver de Grace, the head of the Chesapeake bay, and followed this vocation successfully for ten years. On March 16, 1848, he was married with Amanda, a daughter of William and Lucinda (Hubbard) Crum, and six years after, in 1854 made his residence in Spencer. Their children were : Oscar (born January 8, 1850, died January 16, 1860), Miner D., Medora E. (born November 30, 1854, died September 7, 1894), Opheia (born April 7, 1856, married Edward Mahee) and Myron S. Mr. Watkins has held various local offices, has been road commissioner for quite a number of years, was an assessor for three years, and has been a member of the Spencer lodge of Free Masons for about forty years. The Crurn family came from Peru, N. Y., to Tioga county after the war of 1812, and permanently located at Spencer abOut 1815.

MINER D. WATKINS, born February 2, 1853, after attending the schools of Spencer and Owego academy, was graduated from a Binghamton commercial college and became a clerk in the drygoods store of Truman .& Thompson at Owego. After a time he went to Chicago, Ill., and was a drygoods salesman there for three years.. At the expiration of that time he went into business for himself as a real estate operator, in which he was engaged for four years, returning to Spencer, his present residence, in 1892. Mr. Watkins has been a valued member of the masonic fraternity for fifteen years, is a member of the commandery at Binghamton, and for three ternis was the high priest of New Jerusalem chapter. In other and numerous ways Mr. Watkins is an active and public spirited member of society and a loyal citizen.

MYRON S. WATKINS, M. D., born May 15, 1858, in Spencer, studied medicine with Dr. Alonzo Norris of Spencer and Dr. Farnham, of Binghamton, then of Candor. He attrendecl lectures at Buffalo medical college; from which he was graduated in 1880, and at once (in June, 1880,) engaged upon the brilliant career of practice in Elmira which soon placed him high in rank not only among the physicians of that city, but of the state as well. He was a tireless worker, an unceasing student, and the many duties of a very large and exacting practice did not hinder his pursuit of knowledge in his dearly loved profession. He was elected coroner at Elmira, but that was soon dismissed as it 'interfered with his larger duties. He attended the post-graduate college of New York city, and from June, 1890, to June, 1891, was a student abroad at the famous medical university of Berlin, Germany, from which he received a diploma. On his return be again was absorbed in his practice, sparing himself not in the least. In the brief period of his activity he accomplished more than many men do in a long lifetime. He died February 15, 1892, in Elmira, leaving a long procession of mourners, to whom he was not only a phenomenal healer, but a loyal friend.

AMOS HOLDRIDGE, son of Elisha and Mary (Shaff) Holdridge, was born near Montrose, Pa., July 13, 1813. He was educated at the common schools, and when nine years old his parents moved to Spencer and he rode a horse and drove the cattle. He married Wealthy, daughter of William Loring. They had two children, Edgar P., and William A. The family was members of the Baptist church. He died July 9, 1893. Edgar P. Holdridge was born in 1841, and was married with Melvina Babcock, and resides in New York city. He is a real estate, dealer. William A. Holdridge was born September 13, 1843, was educated at Spencer public schools and Owego academy, and afterward taught school for several terms. In 1869 he went to Virginia and purchased a farm and engaged in farming. In. 1871 he was married with Mary Babcock, who lived only six months. He then sold his farm and came to Owego and clerked for his brother three years. Then he went to Nevada and was assistant superintendent for the Ural silver mine company for three years, and returned then to his native town where he has since resided. On June 19, 1878, he was married with Catharine Andrews, and had four children, George, Clara, Sarah, and Charles. Mr. Holdridge is engaged in farming and dairying and resides on the old homestead and is a member of .the Baptist church. ,

DANIEL C. BROOKS, whose comfortable home is just north of Spencer village and whose farm is known as one of the best in the town, was a native of Danby, born December 21, 1836, and was one year old when his father came to Spencer. His young life was spent on the farm' and in the. lumber mill, with attendance at district school in the winter. But at the age of 22 he took the farm and afterwards cared for his crippled father and infirm mother during the rest of their lives. He paid for the land and gave his parents a life estate in the property. In 1877 Mr. Brooks bought a part of the old Spaulding farm, and here he has since lived and has improved the place and made it one' of the best farms in all Spencer. During his almost lifelong residence In this town, Mr. Brooks has formed an extensive acquaintance in the county, and is also known as one of the firm republicans of northern Tioga. For six years he was highway commissioner and for the last three years has been one of the town assessors. He has been otherwise prominent in town affairs and an active factor in whatever he thinks to be right.' In 1864 Mr. Brooks married with Mary M. Seely, by whom he has had six children: Celia, Edith M., Byron E., Susie Wells, Bessie Belle and Ada Brooks.

LEWIS J. VAN WOERT, son of Lewis Van Woert, who is mentioned among the'early settlers of Spencer, was born in the town in 1828, and from his infancy until 1893 lived on the old home farm in the north part of Spencer, then removed to the village. He has always been a farmer, an earnest plodder along life's pathway and a man who has always enjoyed the confidence and respect of his fellow townsmen; an ardent republican and for 16 years was one of the town assessors. In 1851 Mr. Van Woert was married with Miranda A., daughter of Peter Van Woert, of Oneonta, N. Y., by , whom he had three children: Nettie, who, married with Frank Bowen and is now dead; Carrie M., wif&of Frederick Fisher, and Flora E. Van Woert, married with C. S. Vorhis of North Dakota. His wife died October 27, 1891, and on April 18, 1893, Mr Van Woert married with Myra M., the daughter of Cornelius Lord, of Prattsburgh, N. Y.

ALBERT J. CARD, one of the most thorough farmers, one of the best town officers, and one of the strongest republicans of Spencer, who was highway commissioner three years and overseer of the poor for a like term, has lived in Spencer since 1873. He was born at Homer, December 26, 1824, and was the son of Elijah B. Card, a farmer who brought up his sons to work. The family removed to Dryden, and when of age, Albert began lumbering and farming, chiefly farming, until he came to Spencer, as we have noted. Here he first bought the Nichols interest in the old planing mill opposite the hotel, and near the creek, which he run three years and then traded it for a farm near Halsey Valley; and that, in turn, he exchanged for the farm he now owns, which is mentioned as one of the best in Spencer. In 1847 Mr. Card was married with Anna Chatfield, by whom he had two children, both of whom, with the mother as well, are dead. For his second wife Mr. Card married, in 1860, with Susan 0., daughter of James Roosa, by whom he has one daughter, Mary, wife of Jerome B. Howell, of Newfield.

SAMUEL HULL, with several brothers, came from Killingsworth, Conn., in the fall of 1809 and made a settlement in Candor, about a mile and a half west of the village. The brothers were Lebbeus, Russell, Hubbard and Samuel Hull. Samuel was a farmer, not long married when he came,, and his child, James Benjamin Hull, was then six months old. His children born in Candor were: Clarissa R., who married with William Loring and settled in Newark Valley; Mary, who married with John Bacon; Lydia M., who married and went to Wisconsin; Samuel, Jr., who settled in Kansas; Catharine A., who married and lived in Newark Valley; Henry Hubbard, who also removed to Wisconsin; Nathan Teall, who lived and died in Candor, and Elizabeth Sabrina Hull, who died in 1850. James Benjamin Hull was married in 1834 and lived in Candor until 1844, then removed to Spencer and bought the McQuigg farm, about a mile north of the village, where he lived to the time of his death, February 16, 1889. His wife was Lucina Loring, born May 15, 1813, and died October 3, 1895. They had two children, Loring William and Mary Emily, the latter of whom died in infancy.

LORING WILLIAM HULL was born March 16, 1840, and since 1844 has lived in Spencer, on part of the home farm of his father, and is by occupation both farmer and surveyor; and withal one of the foremost men in the town, possessing good business qualities and frequently called to positions of responsibility. He has been supervisor of the town since 1894. He isa member and trustee of the Presbyterian church and has been superintendent of the Sunday school nearly fifteen years. He took an active part in organizing the Tioga county Patrons Fire Belief Association, and has been its secretary since it was organized, about twenty years. His wife, with whom he was married September 25, 1872, was Eva, daughter of M. C. Whitney, of Newfield. Their children are Ida Lucena, a graduate of Cornell; Mary Elizabeth, graduate of Albany Normal college and now a teacher in Brooklyn; Louisa Tracy, an art student in New York; and Grace Ethel, Kate Loring, Eva Whitney and Loririg Leslie Hull, all of Spencer.

ROBERT VOSE, born in 1599, came to Dorchester, Mass., from England in 1635, and in 1654 bought 126 acres of the John Glover estate, lying in Dorchester and Milton. He, gave eight' acres of this land for the site of the first meeting house of Milton, where a splendid edifice was erected. Robert was a prominent citizen and christian, noted for his good works. He died on October 8, 1683. Several of his descendants were prominent in the revolution; among them Col. Joseph Vose, who served through the war with Washington.. He was officer of the day when the British army evacuated New York city in 1781. Capt. Thomas Vose was a leading cavalry officer at Fort William Henry on Lake George in the Indian war, served in the revolution, and stood high in civil life in Milton. Other noted descendants were' Rev. Dr. Joseph Buckminister, Gov. Increase Sumner, Gen. Wm. Hyslop Sumner, Gen. Edwin Vose Sumner, Judge Henry Vose, Margaret Fuller Ossoli, Gov. Henry J. Gardner, Col. Elijah Vose, Hon. John Vose, Hon. Roger Vose of New Hampshire, Edmund J. Baker, Col. Josiah Vose, Hon. Solomon Vose, Hon. Richard H. Vose, Rev. Dr. James G. Vose, Mrs. Lydia Snow Vose (missionary), Hon. Henry L. Pierce, etc.

ROGER VOSE, son of Samuel, grandson of Robert, born February 26, 1770, at Bedford, N. H., married Anna Bassett of Sharon, Mass., was a farmer of Bedford, and also owned saw and cider mills. He was a justice and coroner, weighed 250 pounds, and was known to every one as "Squire" Vose, In 1826 he came to Spencer, and purchased and settled on 100 acres in the east part of the town, and had a saw and grist mill. His children were Samuel, John, Phebe, Rachel, Jesse, Mary, Charles Otis, Nancy, Alfred and Cynthia.

JOHN VOSE, son of Roger, born in Bedford, N. H., October 20, 1796, married Elizabeth M. Parker, daughter of John, born November 2, 1799. He was educated at Atkinson (N. H.) academy, where his uncle, Prof. John Vose, was principal, and later was a teacher. One of his scholars was Horace Greeley. He walked to Spencer in 1818 and in 1819 purchased a farm. He cleared his farm, built a saw mill, taught school, and was several times assessor, supervisor, etc. He was a charter member of Spencer lodge of Free Masons, and both himself and wife were life long members of the Baptist church. Their children were Alfred, Marcellus, Parker and Jane, all dead but Alfred, who resides in Danby, N. Y.

ALFRED VOSE, son of Roger and Anna Bassett Vose, born August, 1812, in Bedford, N. H.. married Lavina Evelin, and resided on the farm, which his father purchased in Spencer, until his death on April 20, 1883. His wife survived him until July 3, 1893. Their children were Ann (Mrs. Charles Bunnell), Nancy (deceased) William H. (deceased), and Margaret (Mrs. Samuel Estham). Mr. Vose was an assessor for many years.

CAPTAIN JACOB VOSE, son of Lieutenant James Vose, and cousin to Roger, was born in New Hampshire, on December 15, 1771. He came to Spencer in 1819. He married Persis Dickerman. They had a family of eleven children. He married for his second wife Betsey Bassett. They had eight children. The only one of his first wife's children living is Sumner, who was born in Bedford, N. H., in 1813, and came to Spencer when six years old. He married Amanda Holcomb. They had six children, five boys and one girl. Of Jacob's second wife's children, six are living: Mary, Rachel, John, George, David and Olive. All reside in the west. Joshua died in the army.

THOMAS VOSE, son of Jacob and Betsey (Bassett) Vose, was born in Spencer, November 11, 1825. On January 14, 1849, he married Samantha Shepard, and they had four children, Sylvenus, Rev. Riley, Rev. Sylvester, and Sarah. Thomas was a farmer. The family were all members of the Baptist church, of which Thomas was deacon for many years and until his death, January 6, 1874.

SYLVENUS J. VOSE, son of Thomas and Samantha (Shepard) Vose, was born in Spencer, March 5, 1856. September 10, 1879, he was united in marriage with Phebe Clark, daughter of Lewis Clark. They have two children, Lena M. and Claude C. He is a member of Spencer lodge, No. 290, F. & A. M., and Eagle chapter, No. 58, R. A. M., of Ithaca, and St. Augustine commandery, No. 38, K. T., at Ithaca. He and his family are members of the Baptist church. He has been superintendent of the Sunday-school since 1895. For several years he was engaged in farming and has been manager of the Grove hotel since Septethber 15, 1891.

REV. RILEY ADELBERT VOSE was born at Spencer, June 21, 1859, and prepared, for college at Colgate academy, graduating from Madison university in 1885, and received the degree of A. B. at the same time. Graduating from Hamilton theologial seminary in 1889, he received the degree of A. M. Mr. Vose was pastor of the First Baptist church of Kingston two and one-half years, and of the Tabernacle Baptist church of Utica four years, and is now pastor of the North Avenue Baptist church of Cambridge, Mass. June 29, 1886, he married Florence Davis. One child., Howard Robert Vose.

REV. SYLVESTER S. VOSE, the present pastor of the Baptist church in Newfield, N. Y., was born in Spencer, November 28, 1864. He married Estella Brock, and has one child, Ethel S.

MILTON HUGG, son of William and Lydia (Hunt) Hugg, was born in New Canaan, Conn., in 1790, and in 1800 came 'with his father to Spencer. His father had bought a lot of wild land two miles north of the village in 1799 and built a small log house for his future home. He cleared up the farm, which in a few years he sold and moved to West Danby, where he died. Milton was in the war of 1812, and' served in the battles of Black Rock and Queenstown Heights. Coming to Spencer after the war closed, he married, in 1818, Esther, daughter of Reuben Case, of West Danby, the first white child born at Troy, Pa. They had eight children. Mr. Hugg was a millwright and built many mills. He also was a surveyor, and did much of the running of lines and the subdivision of lands around Spencer. He was a constable for over twenty years, a captain of militia, and a charter member of Spencer lodge of Free Masons, and at his death was the oldest member of the fraternity in this part of the state. He kept a hotel at West Danby for a fime and. was postmaster there, but most of his life was passed at North Spencer. He was an active democrat. Mr. and Mrs. Hugg were members of the Presbyterian church for over half a century. They both died in 1878. Horace Adams Hugg, the only son of Milton, was born in Spencer on July 18, 1838. He learned the carpenter's trade of his father and has for the last fifteen years worked for S. Alfred Seely. Previously he was engaged in lumbering at North Spencer for fifteen years, owned three different mills and built a large steam saw mill there. On June 5, 1869, he was married with Elizabeth, daughter of John and Martha A. Storr. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Hugg was for two years, superintendent of the Sunday schooL He is a great reader and a man of independent and original thought. He joined Spencer. lodge of Free Masons when he came of age and is now a member. He belongs also to the societies of Red Men, Good Templars, and Royal Templars 'of Temperance, is a democrat in politics, takes active part in prohibitory movements, and has been an excise commissioner.

ALBERT SIGNOR, son of Peter and Lorena (Root) Signor, was born in Greenville, N. Y., May 12, 1803. Peter settled, in the southwest part of Danby in 1813, purchasing a farm which was his home until his death on April 19, 1852. Albert Signor on reaching manhood, settled in the north part of Spencer, making the first clearing on the place he purchased. In 1835 Mr. Signor bought a large tract of new land on which was a saw mill built by Harley Lord. On this place also Mr. Signor made the first clearing and commenced the extensive lumbering business he conducted for so many years. The old mill burned in 1851 and the present mill was at once erected. It has a circular saw and its cutting capacity is 500,000 feet yearly. Mr. 'Signor was a large-hearted, generous man, noted for his hospitality and integrity, and was one of the town's best citizens. He died October 1, 1889, and his wife January 5, 1881. Her maiden name was Anna English, and two of her three children are now living: Adonijah and Mary Ann, of West Danby, now Mrs. Ira Patchin. Adonijah Signor, born August 31, 1831, has lived on the Spencer farm since he was five years old. He has been an useful citizen, and a member of Spencer lodge of Free Masons since 1864. On March 14, 1860, he married Hannah A. Patchin, and they have two children, Hattie May and Mertie L., who married Frank A. Bell, Esq., of Waverly.

HORACE FURMAN, son of Daniel and Laura (Cole) Furman, was born in Ithaca, N. Y., November 11, 1826. His father died in Ithaca when Horace was five years old, and when the young lad had attained the age of fifteen the home surroundings were so uncongenial that he took what clothes he had, tied them in a handkerchief, and walked to Corning, where his brother Miles lived. With him he' made his home until he was of age, and. frOm him received at that time one hundred dollars in money and two suits of clothes. He then came to Spencer, worked' six months on a farm for $18 a month, returned to Corning and purchased twentyfive acres of land of his brother, paying him the money he had earned as part payment. He then worked by the, month for Miles until he had paid for the land. Mr. Furman's residence in Spencer began in 1866, when he purchased a beautiful farm at the north' part of Spencer lake, and here he has since resided. In 1851, he married Lavina Jane Rumsey, who died in 1889. They had six children, three girls, Lottie (Mrs. George Lanning), Ella (Mrs. William Brown) and Cynthia Jane Furman. The boys, Albert, Jackson and George, are dead.

EPHRAIM A. ACKLES, son of David and Esther (Hugg) Ackles, was born on February 19, 1861, in Spencer. He was reared a farmer and later was employed on his father's farm. In 1892 he married May Brigdon. They have one child, Florence. On August 7, 1893, Mr. Ackles purchased a general store at North Spencer, where he has since been successfully engaged in merchandising. The same year of his purchase of the store, he was commissioned postmaster of the North Spencer post office, which he now conducts. David Ackles, son of William and Hannah (Horton) Ackles, was born November 7, 1816, in the town of Onondaga, Onondaga county, N. Y., and when seventeen came to Newfield, and worked on a farm four years, then, after three years residence in Danby, he made his home in Spencer for some years. In January, 1846, he married with Esther Hugg, daughter of Milton Hugg. They had ten children, of whom four boys and three girls are living.' Mr. Ackles settled in the town of Van Etten, his present home in 1866. In 1873 Mr. Ackles lost his right arm by the accidental discharge of a gun, and on August 8, 1893, Mrs. Ackles fractured a hip by a fall, which crippled her for life

Return to [Tioga County Bios] [ Online Biographies ] [ New York History ]

.Blind Counter

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy