George Wilson, who owns and operates one hundred and forty five acres of rich and valuable land situated in
Jefferson township, is also one of the few remaining veterans of the Civil war. He was born in Jefferson county,
Ohio, May 12, 1839, a son of John and Elizabeth (Johnston) Wilson, both of whom were natives of County Tyrone,
Ireland. The father came alone to the United States about 1833 or 1834, the voyage across the Atlantic requiring
six weeks and three days. Upon landing in America he at once made his way to Jefferson county, Ohio, and in 1863
made his way to Coshocton county, locating on the land which is today owned by our subject. There he carried on
general agricultural pursuits during his entire life. He met death by drowning in the Walhonding river in April,
1878. The wife survived for ten years and passed away in 1888. Their family numbered nine children, as follows:
William, who resides in Killbuck, Holmes county, this state; John, deceased; Nancy, the wife of Joseph Pithen,
now living retired in Mingo Junction, Ohio; George, of this review; Mary A., Jane and Sarah E., all of whom have
departed this life; Moses, who died in infancy; and James, a farmer of Jefferson township.
George Wilson acquired his education in one of the old time log schoolhouses of Jefferson county and was reared
to farm life. During his early life he learned the carpenter's trade, worked at the same for some time. He remained
under the parental roof until he had reached the age of twenty seven years, when He began life on his own account
by choosing the occupation to which he had been reared. He began farming in Jefferson township, Coshocton county,
where he has made his home to the present time. He is now the owner of the homestead property, comprising one hundred
and forty five acres of well improved land, which returns golden harvests as a reward for the care and labor bestowed
upon the fields.
In 1862, at the time of the Civil war, Mr. Wilson put aside all business and personal considerations and enlisted
as a member of Company E, Fifty second Ohio Volunteer Infantry for three years' service. He went to the front in
August, 1862, and was discharged in the following February on account of disability, having recieved a wound in
the shoulder in the battle of Perryville. Kentucky, from which he still suffers.
Following his discharge from the array Mr. Wilson returned to his home and resumed farm labor which has been his
occupation to the present time. Mr. Wilson established a home of his own by his marriage in 1866 to Miss Barbara
Severens, a resident of Coshocton county. Their union has been blessed with seven children Sarah F., who has passed
away; Ida, the wife of Lemuel Church, a farmer of Tiverton township; Wiley, deceased; Effie, the wife of William
Darling, of Bethlehem township, this county; Bertha, the wife of John Bowers, a fanner of Jefferson township; Verne,
at home; and John J., who follows farming.
Mr. Wilson is independent in politics, with democratic tendencies. He is a Mason, belonging to Warsaw lodge, at
Spring Mountain, of which he has served as junior and senior wardens, while for the past fourteen years he has
been senior deacon. He is also identified with Stanton Post, G. A. R. at Warsaw, while his wife is a member of
the Christian church. Mr. Wilson has spent the greater part of his life in Coshocton county and is therefore thoroughly
familiar with its history. His success has come to him only through his own efforts and well directed labors, for
all that he today possesses has been acquired through his economy and careful management. He is well and favorably
known in this community and is highly esteemed by all.
Centennial History of
Coshocton County, Ohio
By William J. Bahmer
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Coshocton County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium