THOMAS B. EMERY.
This prominent merchant and postmaster of Belton, Henry county, is entitled to distinction as one of the most
progressive and enterprising men of the community. Upon the commercial activity of a community depends its prosperity,
and the men who are now recognized as leading citizens are those who are at the head of important business interests.
He is a man of broad capabilities, one who carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes.
In Montville, Waldo county, Maine, Mr. Emery was born February 26, 1838, a son of Levi and Lois (Keene) Emery,
who were also natives of the Pine Tree State, and died in Montville, the former on August 21, 1873, the latter
on June 13, 1866. Our subject is next to the youngest of their eleven children - seven sons and four daughters
- and under the parental roof he remained until he attained his majority, going at that time to North Chelsea,
Massachusetts, where he spent one summer. Returning to Maine, he worked on the home farm for a few months, and
in February, 1860, he came to Henry county, Ohio, where for two years he was in the employ of his brother, Judson
Emery, in Damascus township. The following eight years were passed with his father upon the old home farm in Montville,
Maine, but in February, 1870, he returned to Henry county, with whose commercial and agricultural interests he
has since been identified. For the first ten years he engaged in merchandising at Emery's Corners, and then removed
his stock of goods to Belton, where he has since successfully carried on operations as a general merchant. Besides
his village property he now owns two hundred and forty two acres in Monroe and Damascus townships, Henry county,
and the success that he has achieved is due entirely to his own unaided efforts.
Near Bowling Green, Wood county, Ohio, Mr. Emery was married April 9, 1862, to Miss Cynthia Shively, a native of
that county, and daughter of Henry and Margaret Shively. They were natives of Columbia county, Pennsylvania, were
pioneers of Akron, Ohio, and as early as 1833 became residents of Wood county. Both are now deceased, the mother
having died May 5, 1879, the father on March 5, 1885. Mr. and Mrs. Emery have one daughter, Eva M.
Under President Arthur's administration, Mr. Emery was appointed postmaster of Grelton, which office he then held
for almost five years, and was reappointed during President Cleveland's second administration, being the present
incumbent. His public service is most exemplary, and his private life has been marked by the utmost fidelity to
duty. He is a public spirited, progressive citizen, who has given support to all measures for the public good,
and over his life record there falls no shadow of wrong. Socially he is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern, Ohio
Including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton
Published by: J. H. Beers and Company
Northwestern, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium