THOMAS H. IMES.
Mr. Imes, who after years of honest toil is now living retired in the village of Williams Center, Williams county,
has spent his entire life in Ohio, his birth occurring in Morrow county, October 2, 1833.
Mr. Imes was reared upon a farm, and when a young man learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed for eight
years prior to entering the Union army during the Rebellion. On August 18, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Eighty
first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a private, was afterward promoted to sergeant, and later was commissioned first
lieutenant of his company. For almost three years he was in active service, and participated in many important
engagements and numerous skirmishes, including the battles of Resaca, Rome Cross Roads, Dallas and Kenesaw Mountain;
following which came the Atlanta campaign, including the battles of the 22d and 28th of July, 1864, and closing
with that of Jonesboro, Georgia. Then came Sherman's march to the sea, and the siege of Savannah. After leaving
Savannah, January 28, 1865, the Eighty first participated in the engagements at Little Ogeechee river (near that
city), after which came the march through the Carolinas, which brought on the following engagements: North Edisto
River (near Orangeburg), Congaree Creek (five miles from Columbia), and Camden, South Carolina; the campaign ending
with the battle of Bentonville, North Carolina, our subject serving up to and including the surrender of Johnston's
army at Morrisville, April 21, 1865. The war ended, he was honorably discharged July 24, 1865.
Mr. Imes resumed blacksmithing and in the county of his nativity he continued to make his home until 1866, when
he removed to Wyandot county, Ohio. following the sawmill business at that place until the spring of 1868. After
a short time spent in Fulton county, he came to Williams county in the fall of 1868. and here has continued to
reside. At first he operated a rented farm in Superior township, but in the spring of 1870 purchased a tract of
land in Pulaski township, one and one half miles north of Bryan, where he made his home for almost thirteen years.
Laying aside business cares he removed to the village of Williams Center, but still owns a fine farm of one hundred
and sixty acres in Center township. He is one of the self made men of the county, his well directed efforts, perseverance
and enterprise having gained for him a comfortable competence, which now enables him to spend his declining years
in ease and retirement from active labor.
In Morrow county, Ohio, Mr. Imes married Miss Lydia Jane Russell, a native of Muskingum county, Ohio, born. March
25, 1834. They have one son, William C., who is engaged in mercantile pursuits in Melbern, Williams county; their
only daughter, Ina, died in childhood. William C. married Estella Clemens, of Williams county, and they have two
sons, Wilber C. and Willard C. Mrs. Lydia Jane Imes is a daughter of James and Lydia (Perkey) Russell, who were
pioneers of Muskingum county, Ohio, the father born in Ireland, the mother in Pennsylvania.
Mr. Imes always gives his political support to the Democratic party, and has most acceptably served as township
trustee for six years. A genial, pleasant gentleman, he has made hosts of friends throughout his adopted county,
and has the respect and esteem of all who know him.
Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern, Ohio
Including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton
Published by: J. H. Beers and Company
Northwestern, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium