HENRY LIPP, JR.
This substantial and progressive agriculturist of Delaware township, Defiance county, traces his ancestry to that
distant land, the grand and awe inspiring home of the brave and hardy Swiss.
Henry and Anna (Sutter) Lipp, parents of our subject, were natives of Switzerland. the father born December 21,
1815, the mother on September 4. 1822. They came to America in early life, and located in Putnam county, Ohio,
several years prior to their removal, in the spring of 1861, to Delaware township, Defiance county, where they
are still living, carrying on farming operations. They are the parents of nine children - four sons and five daughters.
Mrs. Henry Limp's mother, Mrs. Barbara Schneider, died in Putnam county, Ohio.
Henry Lipp, Jr., was born in Putnam county, Ohio, March 29, 185I, and is the eldest in the family. In the county
of his birth he remained until he was ten years old, and then accompanied his parents to Delaware township. Defiance
county, where he continued to reside until he was twenty six years of age. Returning then to Putnam county, he
found employment on a farm, and there remained four years, at the end of which time he again removed to Delaware
township, where he has since continuously resided.
On January 16, 1883, Mr. Lipp was married at Defiance to Miss Catherine Gecowitz, who was born in Defiance township,
Defiance county, Ohio. January 15, 1864. a daughter of Andrew (a farmer of Defiance county), and Christina (Bauer)
Gecowitz, the former a native of Poland, born January 24, 1813, the latter born in Germany, May 13, 1829, and both
of whom are yet living. After coming to this country, they first settled in Paulding county, Ohio, but removed
to Defiance county, where they have since made their home with the exception of about a year, during which time
they lived in Virginia. They have had six children - four sons and two daughters - Mrs. Lipp being the fifth child.
Immediately after marriage Mr. and Mrs. Lipp settled on the farm in Delaware township, which is their present home.
It is located in Section 14, and contains one hundred and eighty acres of land, on which Mr. Lipp has erected good
buildings and made other improvements, thus enhancing both the appearance and value of his property. He is actively
interested in bee culture, having at the present time some seventy swarms, from which he derives a considerable
income. The pleasing home of Mr. and Mrs. Lipp is brightened by five children, whose names and dates of birth are
as follows: Anna C., October 29, 1883; John H., July 11, 1885; Emma M., May 21, 1887; Clara C., March 23, 1890;
and Laurina Estella, November 7, 1898. Politically Mr. Lipp acts with the Democratic party, and he formerly took
an active part in all matters of local interest. He and his wife are members of the Reformed Church.
Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern, Ohio
Including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton
Published by: J. H. Beers and Company
Northwestern, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium