Among the well to do citizens of Williams county, who have been prominently identified with its agricultural interests
from an early day, is the gentleman whose name begins this sketch. Upon his farm in Florence township he has made
his home since 1871, having at that time forty acres of timber land improved with a log house and barn. As he has
extended the boundaries of his farm, it now comprises one hundred and fifty acres under excellent cultivation,
and he also owns sixty acres elsewhere in the same township. His home is a comfortable two story frame residence
with an "L," and upon the place there are also two good barns, outbuildings, a wincipump and, in fact,
all the conveniences and accessories found upon a model farm of the nineteenth century. For four years he was engaged
in the pump business in Edon, Williams county, but with that exception he has followed general farming and stock
raising throughout his business career.
In Columbiana county, Ohio, Mr. Mark was born March 26, 1845, a son of Christian and Catherine (Hess) Mark, natives
of Germany, who in 1834 crossed the Atlantic on the same vessel, landing in New York after a voyage of forty days.
The mother was born in Rottenburg, Germany, October 11, 1818, and the year of her arrival in the New World gave
her hand in marriage to Christian Mark. For seven years they remained in New York City, where he worked at the
tailor's trade, and then migrated to Columbiana county, Ohio, where he was similarly employed until 1849. He traded
his property in that county for land in Williams county which he had never seen, and in that year came to his new
home. He paid for having his cabin erected and his land cleared by work at his trade, but afterward engaged in
agricultural pursuits, and with the assistance of his sons placed the land under a high state of cultivation. On
locating there a road had to be cut to the place, and much of the land seemed a useless swamp; but all has since
been changed, the farm being today one of the most desirable places in the locality. Although eighty five years
of age, the father is still quite active, superintends the management of his farm and attends to his other business
interests. Religiously he is a member of the German Baptist Church, and politically was identified with the Republican
party. His loving wife, who was a true Christian woman, was called to her final rest in September, 1890, at the
age of seventy one years. She had eleven children, fifty three grandchildren and twenty great grandchildren. Her
own children were: William, George and Jacob (all three deceased); Mrs. Eliza Huntington; John; Henry; Mrs. Hannah
Rockey; Mrs. Rachel Ertrich; Mrs. Mary Gearhart; Mrs. Lovenia Goshorn; and Mrs. Harriet Kane.
Henry Mark was five years old when brought by his parents to Williams county, where his boyhood and youth were
spent in assisting in the work of the home farm and in attending the district schools of the neighborhood. After
his marriage he located on his present farm in Florence township, and in its operation he has met with a well deserved
success. He is one of the most prominent and influential citizens of his township, is an uncompromising Democrat
in politics. and takes an active interest in all public affairs. His fellow citizens, recognizing his worth and
ability, have elected him to several local offices; he is now serving his second term as township trustee, and
has been a delegate to many of the conventions of his party.
In 1871 Mr. Mark married Miss Achsah A. Martin, of Williams county, a daughter of Harrison A. and Elizabeth (Dolvin)
Martin, the former a native of Carroll county, and the latter of Tuscarawas county, Ohio. Her father was one of
four brothers, the others being Israel, Wesley and Albert, who were of German descent. In 1847 Harrison A. Martin
came to Williams county, where he purchased land from the government, and improved a farm, making it his home until
called to the world beyond in 1885 at the age of sixty five years. For forty years he was a faithful member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which his wife also belonged. Her death occurred May 9, 1889. They had three
children: Elmira (deceased), William W., who still resides on the old homestead; and Achsah A., wife of our subject.
Mr. Martin was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, August 23, 1819, on a farm situated about three miles north of
Wellsville. He visited the old homestead in 1876, and found the house, within whose walls he first saw the light,
still standing. In early youth he moved with his parents to Rose township, Carroll county, where he grew to manhood,
and where he married Elizabeth Dolvin in the latter part of July, 1845, and with whom one month later he penetrated
the then nearly unbroken forest, settling on a farm where he spent the rest of his days. This was the southeast
quarter of Section 11, Florence township, a quarter that was very slow in being settled, and for fifteen years
he had no road, having to pick his way in and out over byroads cut through the woods so as to avoid the swales.
For several years the nights would be made hideous with the howlings of wolves that infested the swamps in that
vicinity, while the numerous owls would keep up a continual weird like hooting, and other cries; the visits of
thievish bears, also, were not infrequent. Amid these surroundings Mr. Martin toiled to secure for himself a comfortable
competence, and succeeded.
Of the four children born to Mr. and Mrs. Mark, Charles W., born September 29, 1872, is still at home; Alta M.
died August 27, 1878; Ida M., twin sister of Alta, died September 3, 1878, when about two months old; and Ernest
H., born May 4, 1879, is at home. The parents are worthy members of the German Baptist Church, and are most estimable
Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern, Ohio
Including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton
Published by: J. H. Beers and Company
Northwestern, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium