GEORGE W. WALKER.
It is not difficult to conjecture what manner of man Mr. Walker is. In a Republican country where merit must
win, we can tell much of his life. Wealth may secure a start, but it cannot maintain one in a position where brains
and executive ability are required. Mr. Walker did not have wealth to aid him in beginning his business career.
His reliance has been placed in the more substantial qualities of perseverance, untiring enterprise, resolute purpose
and commendable zeal, and withal his actions have been guided by an honesty of purpose that none have questioned.
He is a true type of American progress and enterprise. His intellectual energy, prudent business methods and reliable
sagacity have all combined to make him one of the ablest business men of Henry county.
Mr. Walker was born in Hamburg, Lancaster county, Ohio, December 8, 1847, a son of John Peter and Sarah J. Walker,
the former a native of Hanover, Germany, the latter of England. They were married in Chillicothe, Ross county,
Ohio, and became the parents of thirteen children - eight sons and five daughters - George W. being second in the
order of birth. The father has always followed the occupation of farming, and is now a resident of Henry county,
but the mother died near Deshler, Ohio, June 29, 1895.
When five years old George W. Walker was taken by his parents to Putnam county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood,
and acquired a good common school education, which has well fitted him for the responsible duties of business life.
In 1872 he went to Belmore, Ohio, where he was engaged in the dry goods business two years. In 1874 he removed
his business to Holgate, Ohio, and continued to engage in that line of business in connection with milling, at
one time operating four different sawmills, two planing mills and one grist mill. He became known as "the
hustler," of Henry county. and for twenty years worked eighteen hours a day, keeping his own books in connection
with his other work. At the present time he owns two stavemills and two sawmills in Holgate, also a saw and shingle
mill in Vandalia, Illinois, employment being furnished to one. hundred and ten men. In addition to his management
of this business, Mr. Walker operates over three hundred acres of land, most of which lies near Holgate, and he
formerly owned and carried on large mercantile establishments in Holgate and Malinta. Probably no man in the county
has done more to advance its interests by building up several villages, including Belmore, Continental and Holgate,
having erected twenty houses and two good business blocks in the last named. He has recently purchased a thirty
two thousand five hundred dollar residence in Vandalia, Illinois, whither it is his intention to shortly remove.
On June 5, 1869, in Sidney, Ohio, Mr. Walker wedded Miss Mary J. Wagner, a native of Detroit, Michigan, and to
them have been born four sons, namely: David W., Charles A., George A., and Angus A. Socially Mr. Walker is a member
of Holgate Lodge, No. 271, K. P., while politically he is identified with the Democratic party, taking an active
interest in the affairs of the party, and doing all in his power to insure its success. He is a leading spirit
in all matters of public interest, cheerfully gives his support to those enterprises that tend to public development,
and with hardly an exception he has been connected with every interest that has promoted general welfare. He has
been a prominent member of the village council and school board, and in religious faith has been connected with
the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years. His name is a synonym for honorable business dealing, and he is
always mentioned as one of the valued citizens of Henry county.
Commemorative Biographical Record of Northwestern, Ohio
Including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton
Published by: J. H. Beers and Company
Northwestern, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium