HON. JOSEPH C. AVERY, (deceased)-There are few names that appear more frequently in the pioneer annals of the
Great Northwest, than that which stands at the head of this short memoir. This old pioneer, after a long life actively
spent among the early trials and vicissitudes incident to the development of Oregon from a wilderness to civilization,
finally yielded to the march of time, and answering to the call of the Dark Angel, passed into the shadowy unknown.
His death, which leaves but a corporal's guard of that old pioneer phalanx to Benton county in 1845 behind, occurred
June 16, 1876. Mr. Avery was born in Lucern county, Pennsylvania, June 9, 1817; he was educated at Wilksbarry,
the county seat of his native county, and in 1839 came west to Illinois. In 1841 he was married to Miss Martha
Marsh, and in 1845 came across the plains arriving in what is now Corvallis, Benton county, the spring of 1846,
and at that time located his claim at the junction of the Willamette and Mary's rivers. In the winter of 1850 he
laid out a town site upon his land, which was called Marysville and afterwards changed to Corvallis. In 1849, he
built a store building and engaged in the mercantile business which he continued for twenty-three years. Mr. Avery
figured prominently in the politics of the county for a quarter of a century. He was a member of the first Territorial
Legislature for Oregon, serving for several terms, and was Postal Agent under the administration of President Buchanan.
The early residents of the county remember him as being noble and generous, he had warm and true friends and few
enemies; while his deeds of charity and acts of kindness and hospitality towards suffering emigrants in early days
will ever be held In grateful remembrance.
History of Benton County, Oregon
Published by: David D. Fagan
A. G. Walling, Printers, Lithograohers, Ect.
Portland, Oregon 1885
Benton County, Or
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium