JESSE H. CATON, Deceased.-This pioneer, the son of Noah and Frances Caton, was born in Carroll county, Missouri,
December 10, 1819. In his early boyhood his father moved to what was at that time Bates county, and settled on
a stream called Maunaton. He remained with his father most of the time, assisting in the cultivation of the farm,
until the spring of 1843, when he started for Oregon in company with the Applegstes, Dr. Whitman and Col. Nesmith.
He helped to bring the first wagon down the Blue Mountains. The first three years he passed in Oregon he was employed
in Oregon City and Forest Grove, at whatever employment he could obtain, making his home with Alvin T. Smith of
the latter place. At Almond Hill's, on Wapato Lake, in that neighborhood, he worked one hundred days and received
therefor two Spanish cows, these animals being then valued at fifty dollars per head. In the fall of 1846 he located
the first claim in what has since become known as the Belknap Settlement. In the spring of 1847 he moved with thirty
head of cattle and one horse to his new home, Jacob Hammer and wife keeping house for him during the first twelve
month. Mr. Caton was married, December 31, 1842. to Miss Precious Starr, Rev. J. Starr officiating. In 1856 he
visited his old home in Missouri, his wife and child accompanying him, and returning to Benton county in the following
year, bought a residence in the city of Corvallis, where his family still dwell. April 26, 1863, he started for
Eastern Oregon purposing to be absent a few weeks, but after a few hours sickness died in Union county, June 15,
1863, leaving a widow and four children, two boys and two girls, who still own the farm in the Belknap Settlement.
He was a member of Barnum Lodge, No. 7, I. O. O. F., also of the Methodist Episcopal church in Corvallis.
History of Benton County, Oregon
Published by: David D. Fagan
A. G. Walling, Printers, Lithograohers, Ect.
Portland, Oregon 1885
Benton County, Or
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium