JACOB S. FELGER.-The subject of this sketch, a view of whose premises will be found in this work, was born in
Wayne county, Ohio, March 1, 1824, and where he resided until 1845, in which year he proceeded to La Salle county,
Illinois, and maintained a residence there up to 1851, having in the meantime learned the trade of miller. In the
spring of the last mentioned year he joined a train hound by way of the plains to Oregon, and on the fifth of September
arrived at Foster's Ranch. There selling his stock he went to the mines in Humboldt county, California, but at
the end of six months returned to Oregon, took up his residence in Polk county and worked at his trade. Mr. Felger
subsequently was employed at Santiam for about six weeks when, returning to Polk he was engaged by General Nesmith.
In the fall of 1852 he transferred the scene of his labors to the Jones grist mill at Cloverdale, Lane county,
and taking up a donation claim was there married, September 25, 1855, to Nancy E., daughter of O. S. Mitchell,
an early pioneer of that section. Having continued his domicile in that county till 1867, he then disposed of his
property, removed to Benton county, purchased his present estate, the well known Felger Mills on Mary's river,
a description of which is given elsewhere, and in 1881, built his residence adjacent to the mill site. Mr. Felger
has a family of six children, viz: Columbus G., Mary A. (know Mrs. Albert Rice), Elizabeth L. (now Mrs. James M.
Reader), Benjamin F., Olive A. and Amy M.
History of Benton County, Oregon
Published by: David D. Fagan
A. G. Walling, Printers, Lithograohers, Ect.
Portland, Oregon 1885
Benton County, Or
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium