CHARLES A. ANDERSON, a prominent banker and manufacturer of Braddock, was born in what is now the fourth ward,
Pittsburg, Nov. 7, 1862. His father, Joseph N. Anderson, was a son of Renix and Sarah (Nelson) Anderson, and a
grandson of James Anderson, an Irishman who emigrated to America. Joseph N. Anderson was a prominent hotel keeper
of Pittsburg, giving up the business in 1872, and at the time of his death, Aug. 9, 1890, was a director in the
Braddock National bank and Pittsburg National Commercial bank. Ann Eliza Anderson, the mother of the subject of
this sketch, was the daughter of George H. Bell, sister of Mrs. Allen Kirkpatrick and Mrs. George H. Chalfant,
and a descendant of James Bell, the great grandfather of our subject. He is now buried in the Presbyterian graveyard
at Hunterstown, Adams Co., Pa., about three miles from the town of Gettysburg, having this inscription on his tombstone:
"Here lies James Bell, a soldier of the Revolution, aged ninety years." James Bell came from Ireland
to this country at the early age of twelve years, and settled in Chester county, Pa. His father and brothers were
tories, or King George men. When the Revolutionary war started, James ran away from home at the age of eighteen
years, and enlisted in the Colonial army. Mr. Bell, being a first class penman, was appointed clerk at General
Knox's headquarters. General Knox being chief of artillery He fought in the battle of Monmouth, and was very well
acquainted with Mollie Pitcher, of Revolutionary fame. He married Rebecca Horner, of Hunterstown, immediately after
the Revolutionary war. Mr. Bell lost all trace of his family during the war; some years after he heard indirectly
that they were living in Washington county, Pa. Starting on horseback, he rode all the way out there, only to find
that several months before they had started on a flatboat down the Ohio river to settle at some place in Kentucky.
He never heard of them again. Charles A. Anderson received an education in the Pittsburg schools, and when nineteen
years old, started in the hotel business. In May, 1890, he became a partner and treasurer of the Shook Anderson
manufacturing company, of Pittsburg. On Nov. 1, 1900, this company consolidated with Atwood & McCaffery, Pittsburg
valve and machine company, pipe fitting department of the Wilson Snyder manufacturing company, and A. Spear &
Sons' foundry, under the name of the Pittsburg valve, foundry and construction company. The new company employs
over 600 men in the manufacture of valves and general fittings, rolling mill and blast furnace supplies, the output
going to every State in the Union and many foreign countries. Mr. Anderson is treasurer of the consolidated company,
and is also director in the Braddock National bank, which is rated as one of the strongest banks in the country.
Mr. Anderson was a school director in Braddock township before the organization of North Braddock as a borough,
and has been since that time an active member of the school board. He was married, Nov 12, 1885, to Miss Katherine
McKinney, daughter of Robert and Katherine (Laman) McKinney, old settlers in what is now the first ward of North
Braddock. Bessemer station of the Pennsylvania railroad was formerly called McKinney's station, after Mr. McKinney.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Anderson are: William John McKinney, who died in infancy; Charles A., Jr.,
born Sept. 11, 1888; Margaret Virginia, born Jan. 5, 1891; Katherine, born Oct. 26, 1892; Robert Nelson, a twin
brother of Katherine, and Martha, born March 16, 1895. Mr. Anderson erected, in 1890, a handsome stone and brick
mansion on Bell avenue, and there resided until August, 1903, when he removed to his new home, on the corner of
Jackson and Farragut streets, nineteenth ward, Pittsburg. Mr. Anderson and wife, also Virginia and Charles A.,
Jr., are members of the Braddock United Presbyterian church. Mr. Anderson is a republican in national politics,
but votes without regard to party lines in municipal elections.
Memoirs of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
personal and genealogical with portraits.
Publishers: Northwestern Historical Association
Madison, Wis. 1904.
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium