COLONEL LEWIS T. BROWN, a veteran of the Civil war and one of Andrew Carnegie’s original partners in the iron
industry, was born in Pittsburg [sic], Pennsylvania, February 15, 1845, a son of Michael and Rachel (Clancy) Brown.
The grandfather was Lewis Brown, a native of Pennsylvania, born in the Juniata Valley, near Tyrone. He began the
struggle of life in the iron works of his native place and came to the city of Pittsburg for the purpose of starting
the Shoenberger Iron Works, and was for many years its superintendent. These works included iron rolling mills,
and with this particular branch of the iron industry he was connected as long as he was able to be active. He resided
in what was then styled Bayardstown, but now the Tenth ward of the city. He possessed great force of character
and was highly respected. He was a devoted Christian worker and active in the German Lutheran church of Pittsburg,
and was one of its most prominent members. He died in his eighty fourth year. He married Eliza Slaughterbach, a
native of the Juniata Valley, and who was eighty two years old at the time of her death, only surviving her husband
a short time. Their union was blessed by nine children, as follows:
(I). Michael. 2. Jacob. 3. John. 4. George. 5. Henry. 6. David. 7. Katherine, all of whom are deceased and were
prominent citizens, the sons all being connected with the various departments of the iron mills, married and reared
families and lived honorable lives in Pittsburg. The last named - Katherine, married a Mr. Miller, and moved to
Georgia.. 8.. Elizabeth, wife of George Seiter, the mother of a large family and who resided at Cincinnati, Ohio.
9. Sarah, Mrs. George Powelson, of Pittsburg, now deceased, whose son, James, was in the Civil war.
(II) Michael Brown, son of Lewis and Eliza (Slaughterbach) Brown, was born in Pittsburg [sic] and obtained a good
common school education. He then mastered all the various branches of the iron business of his father, and at the
time of his death was superintendent of the plant. He was active in all Christian work and a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church. He was a trustee of the old Wesley chapel, where services were first held. Politically he was
a Republican, but never cared for office. He was married in Pittsburg to Miss Rachel Clancy, born at Harrisburg,
Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, in 1810, and died in 1897. She was the daughter of Lewis Clancy, who was a soldier
in the war of 1812-14, and whose grandfather served in the Revolutionary struggle. The only child of Michael and
Rachel (Clancy) Brown was the subject, Lewis T. Brown.
(III) Colonel Lewis T. Brown, subject, received his education in the Pittsburg [sic] schools and enlisted in the
Union cause in the time of the Civil war, September 14, 1861, as a private in Company M, One Hundred and Second
Pennsylvania Volunteers, under command of Colonel Samuel L. Fullwood. He was advanced to corporal, then to sergeant
and lieutenant. He served faithfully for three years and then reenlisted as a second lieutenant in the same company
and served until the close of the war. He was mustered out of service as a first lieutenant in April, 1865. He
returned to Pittsburg and entered the iron mills under his father's direction, and there learned the business from
a puddler to the finishing department. He was advanced to the position of foreman of the machine shop of the Moorhead
& McCleane plant, and was then promoted to one of the superintendents of the works, holding the same about
six years. Severing his connection with the Moorhead & McCleane Company he became identified with the Carnegie
Steel Company, and was made general superintendent of the city mills and afterward became a partner of Andrew Carnegie,
retiring from the concern at the time it was absorbed by the Trust.
Politically Colonel Brown is a Republican. He served eighteen years as a member of the city council, belonging
to both branches of the city government - select and common councils and made an enviabie public record for himself
in the affairs of the municipality. As a military man Colonel Brown stands in the front rank, being associated
with the Pennsylvania National Guards, his service dating from 1870. He is now lieutenant colonel on Governor Stuart's
staff. Like so many of the progressive men of modern days he is connected with the Masonic fraternity, belonging
to Pittsburg Lodge, No. 45, which he joined in 1870; he is now a past master of that body. He is also a member
of Tancred Commandery, No. 48, as well as Chapter No. 162 of the same order. He is on the building committee for
the erection of the proposed Soldiers' Memorial Hall of Pittsburg, and stands high in all civic and social relations.
The subject has been twice married, first to Miss C. May Baughman, in 1867. She was a native of Armstrong county,
Pennsylvania, the daughter of the highly respected family of Daniel Baughman. She died in 1883, aged thirty four
years, and was buried in the Allegheny Cemetery. For his second wife Mr. Brown married Elizabeth Peebles, daughter
of Andrew Peebles and wife of Pittsburg, who are of English origin. Mrs. Brown was educated in the most excellent
schools of Pittsburg. By this union was born one daughter, named Helen, now a student at Miss Fuller's school,
New York. Mr. Brown resides in a charming home at No. 605 North Negley avenue, which was erected in 1900.
A Century and a half of
Pittsburg and her people.
By: John Newton Boucher
The Lewis Publishing Company
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium