WILLIAM WASHINGTON CAMPBELL, of Pittsburg, Pa., a prominent attorney, with offices at No. 413 Grant St., was
born at Paisley, Scotland, May 26, 1842, son of Hugh and Agnes (Johns) Campbell. His family is of Scotch ancestry,
and his father, Hugh Campbell, was a son of William and Jane Campbell, and a shawl manufacturer in his native land.
He came to America in 1847 with a company which intended to manufacture shawls in California, but owing to the
constant harassing of the Indians, this project was abandoned, and Hugh Campbell became a trooper in the United
States cavalry. He saw distinguished service in the Mexican war, participated in a number of bloody fights, and
was so severely wounded at Pueblo that he died from the effects of his wounds. He had three children: William W.;
Hugh, who died in Aberdeen, Miss., in May, 1901, and John P., who resides at Marietta, Ohio. Mrs. Campbell, mother
of the subject, died in Fairmont, W. Va. William W. Campbell accompanied his parents to America when only five
years of age, and after a short stay in St. Louis, removed to West Virginia. He was educated in the Marietta academy
and college of Marietta, Ohio, and at the beginning of the Civil war entered the government service as a telegraph
operator, and at the same time also acted in that capacity for the Baltimore & Ohio railroad. He was stationed
at Oakland, Md.; then at Rowlesburg, W. Va., and, in 1864, at Fairmont, W. Va., where he received and published
the bulletin pertaining to Lee's surrender. At the close of the war he was placed in charge of a station for the
Baltimore & Ohio railroad at Fairmont, where he remained for a number of years, and subsequently held the same
position with that company for many years at Farmington, W. Va. In the meantime he was devoting his leisure to
the study of law, and was admitted to the bar in 1880, after passing a splendid examination conducted by John J.
Hoag, Altheus Heymond and Judge A, Brooks Fleming. He practiced in West Virginia with much success until 1889,
when he removed to Pittsburg, was admitted to the bar of Allegheny county, and since has continuously practiced
in that city. Mr. Campbell is a democrat, and while living in West Virginia took an active part in politics, holding
the office of commissioner of deeds and being defeated for the office of county clerk by the narrow margin of eleven
votes. He has been twice married first, to Elmina, daughter of Jacob and Jane Straight, of Fairmont, W. Va., and
they had ten children: Jane Agnes, who died at the age of six years and six months; Mary Martha, wife of Robert
T. Walsh, of McKeesport; William H., who married Jessie Griffith and resides in Pittsburg; Guy Edgar, who married
Edith Phillips and is a broker in Pittsburg; Betsey Blanch, wife of Harry T. Foley, of Philadelphia; Clyde S.,
a resident of Texas; Maud Ella, wife of Elmer Schrock, of McKeesport; Lula Margaret, wife of W. R. Worthington,
of Greensburg; Otto C, resident of Pittsburg, and Ruhamie Belva, wife of Malcolm B. Brady, of Philadelphia. Mrs.
Campbell died in Crafton, Pa., Oct. 19, 1897, and is buried in the Phillips burial ground near Crafton. Mr. Campbell
was married the second time, on Feb. 28, 1899, to Catherine, daughter of Matthew and Jessie Howard, of Allegheny
city, and they have one daughter, Aurelia Alta, and one son, Robert Burns, born Sept. 19, 1903. He is a member
and past noble grand of Henry Lambert lodge. No. 475, I. O. O. F., of Pittsburg and is past grand of Electic lodge
of Farmington, W. Va. , of which lodge he is a charter member, and also of Campbell lodge of Spencer, W. Va. He
is a past chief patriarch and representative to the grand encampment. Mr. Campbell is a member of the First Presbyterian
church of Crafton, and resides at Wilkinsburg, Pa.
Memoirs of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
personal and genealogical with portraits.
Publishers: Northwestern Historical Association
Madison, Wis. 1904.
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium