GEORGE W. GILES, a prosperous and influential citizen of Munhall, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, for many years
holding the office of justice of the peace, and successfully engaged in the real estate and insurance business,
traces his ancestry to England.
William Giles, grandfather of George W. Giles, was a native of Monmouthshire, England, whence he removed with his
family about 1824 to Wales. Ten years later he emigrated with his family to the United States, settling at Six
Mile Ferry, where he was engaged in coal mining. He married, in Monmputhshire, England, Edith, family name unknown,
also a native of England, and they had children: 1. John, deceased, was a coal operator at Braddock, Pennsylvania.
He married and had children: John, Jr., deceased; George, residing in Colorado; Agnes, married William Hall and
resides in Turtle Creek; James; Mary; and Ella, deceased. 2. Thou as, deceased, residrd at McKeesport, Pennsylvania.
He married and had children. 3. Maria, married John Zirckel and resides in Pittsburg [sic]. Pennsylvania. 4. Mary
Ann, deceased 5. George, Sr, see forward 6 James, resides in Greene county, Pennsylvania. 7. William, Jr., resides
in Mifflin township, Pennsylvania.
George Giles, Sr., third son and fifth child of William and Edith Giles, was born in Monmouthshire, England, in
1824, and died in Haysboro, Alleghenv county, Pennsylvania, February 19, 1872. He is buried in Franidin, now Homestead,
cemetery. He was about ten years of age when he came to this country with his parents, and at a suitable age was
apprenticed to learn the blacksmith's trade, an occupation be followed all his life. He was a stanch supporter
of the Republican party, and his religious affiliations were with the Methodist church, in which he held the office
of trustee. He married Harriet B. Dougherty, born in Butler county, Pennsylvania, in 1824, daughter of John and
Anna (Rhodes) Dougherty, who were the parents of the following named children: 1. Anna, married Andrew Gardner,
and they resided in California and are both deceased. 2. John, deceased. He was a blacksmith, married a Miss Rhodes,
and resided in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. 3. Harriet B., mentioned above. 4. William, deceased, resided in McKeesport.
5. Margaret, married John Bishop, and in 1877 removedL to Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, where they were engaged
in farming. Both are now deceased. George and Harriet B. (Dougherty) Giles were the parents of children: 1. Charles
C., was formerly right of way agent for the Central District Printing and Telegraph Company of Pittsburg, and is
now superintendent of the electrical department of the Monongahela First Pool Gas and Coal Company. He resided
for some years in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio,! and now has his permanent residence in Willock Station,
Pennsylvania. 2. Emma J.; married Frederick Lynch, a coal shipper on the Monongahela river, and resides at Glenwood
Station, Twenty third ward, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. They have several children. 3. Margaret Ann was connected
for many years with the Home Missionary Society in the Holy Land, Texas, etc., and now (1907) resides in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. 4. Harriet Eva resides in Willock Station, Pennsylvania. 5. George W., see forward. 6. Ada A. married
William Jack, foreman of the coal mines of the Monongahela First Pool Coal Company, and resides in Willock Station,
Pennsylvania. They have children: Frank, who was graduated from the Pittshurg Academy and is at present employed
in the store of the Monongahela First Pool Coal Company; and Ralph, a student at the Pittsburg Academy. 7. Laura
L., married John Beam, an electrician, and resides at Hazelwood, Twenty-third ward of Pittsburg. They have children:
Harry and Florence. 8. Ira H., born at Hope Church, Pennsylvania, October 30, 1868. He was educated in the public
schools, and at the age of fourteen years entered the grocery business of Joseph Mon, in his native town, remaining
in this employment for a period of four years. He then entered the service of the Homestead Steel Works, and was
thus occupied until the strike of 1892, when he abandoned this line of business. His next occupation was as stationarv
engineer for the Harrison Gas Coal Company of Pittsburg, a position he resigned at the expiration of two years
in favor of one with the Central District Printing and Telegraph Company as lineman. At the end of one year he
was advanced to the rank of thief locator, and when the engineering department was organized he was transferred
to this department as field engineer, aM at the end of four years was advanced to the rank of chief field engineer,
a position he holds at the present time. His political affiliations are with the Republican party, and when the
borough was incorporated in 1902 he was elected as councilman to serve a term of one year; was re-elected in 1903
to serve a term of three years, and upon the expiration of this in 1906 was again elected for another three years'
term. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Hayshoro. He is connected with the following
organizations: Member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Haysboro for about seventeen years, has been past
grand master and representative to the Grand Lodge at Harrisburg and Williamsport; member of the Amalgamated Association
of Iron and Steel Workers of Homestead: member of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics of Homestead; member
of the National Union of Allegheny; president of the Independent Fire Company of Haysboro. He married, February
13, 1888, Anna Luppold, daughter of Matthias and Susan (Sembower) Luppold, the latter born in Somerset county,
Pennsylvania. Matthias Luppold was born in Germany, emigrated to America, and was employed as a construction foreman.
He was killed at Munhall on the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1902, and was buried in Homestead cemetery. Mr. and Mrs.
Ira H. Giles were the parents of children: Edna, Charles; Howard; Mildred; Viola; Kenneth, deceased.
George W. Giles, second son and fifth child of George and Harriet B. (Dougherty) Giles, was born at Six Mile Ferry,
now Haysboro, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, December 24, 1860. He was educated in the public schools of his native
town, in the Twenty eighth ward public school of Pithburg, and was graduated from the high school. At the age of
fourteen years he entered upon his business career, in which he has been eminently successful. His first position
was with I. D. Risher, in his native town, with whom he remained for two years, then held a position as clerk of
the grocery store of Joseph Mort, of the same town, and at the end of nine years removed to Homestead. Here he
established himself in the real estate and insurance business, in Which his reliability and many sterling qualities
have gained for him an enviable business reputation. He has always been a stanch supporter of the principles of
the Republican party, and has done all in his power to further the interests of that body. He was appointed justice
of the peace in 1897 to fill a vachncy caused by resignation in Mifflin township, and in the spring of the following
year was elected for a term of five years. In 1901 Munhall borough was organized from a part of Mifflin township
and Mr. Giles then held his commission of justice of the peace from that borough, and was elected to another term
of five years in 1903. He and his family are members of the Methpdist church and he is connected with the following
named organizations: Was a member for fourteen years and is now past master of Homestead Lodge No. 582, Ancient
Free and Accepted Order of Masons of Homestead; member of Pittsburg Commandery No. 1, Knights Templar; past officer
of Magdala Lodge No. 991, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; member of Magdala Encampment No. 228, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows; member of Boaz Council No. 814, Royal Arcanum.
He married, Match 24, 1891, Mary Frances McCurdy, born January 19, 1866, daughter of Robert and Martha (Eicher)
McCurdy, of Louden, Pennsylvanil. Robert McCurdy was a private during the Civil war, and while in service contracted
a fever which caused his death shortly after the close of the war. His widow resides in Homestead. They had two
children: Mrs. Giles, and a son who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. George W. Giles have had children: Ruth McCurdy,
born August 4, 1897; George W., Jr., January 28, 1900; and Robert Hamilton, August 2, 1904.
A Century and a half of
Pittsburg and her people.
By: John Newton Boucher
The Lewis Publishing Company
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium