JOHN H. HENDERSON, a prominent lawyer of Allegheny county, was born in Meadville, Pa., Sept. 9, 1866. He was
educated at Carrier institute. Clarion, Pa., and at Allegheny college, Meadville. He read law with his father,
Harvey Henderson, and was admitted to the bar of Allegheny county in March, 1889, since which time he has been
engaged, with his father, in the practice of his profession. For several years he has taken an active part in the
work of the republican party. He was a delegate to the State convention of 1896, and the following year was elected
to the Allegheny city council. In 1898 he was elected a member of the State house of representatives, and again
in the year 1900. The ancestor of the Henderson family who first settled in America was Robert, a Scotch-Irishman,
who emigrated from County Cavan, Ireland, in 1795; landed at Philadelphia, and came westward to Pittsburg, where
he remained until 1799. He removed with his family, who were then adults, to "Worth township, Mercer county,
where he settled and where many of his descendants still reside. Robert Henderson's son, John, who served in the
War of 1812, was married to Mary Carroll, and to them was born a son, in 1801, whom they named William Carroll.
This son afterwards became a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church, and was a constituent member of the Pittsburg
conference of that church, formed in 1825. He was an active member of this conference until 1853, when, to enable
him more readily to educate his children, he was transferred to the Erie conference, of which he was a member at
his death, in 1882. William C. Henderson was married to Eliza Fawcett, born in South Fayette township, Allegheny
county, in 1813, daughter of Joseph, who was born in the same neighborhood in 1748, and whose father, John Fawcett,
emigrated from near Belfast, Ireland, in 1769; was married to Ann Fawcett, at Winchester, Va., and removed to Cecil
township, Washington Co., Pa., in 1772, where he died, in 1810. William C. Henderson and his wife, Eliza, had five
children, one of whom, Anna, died in early life. Harvey, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in
Ross township, Allegheny county; educated at Allegheny college, Meadville; read law; was admitted to the bar, and
practiced his profession in Meadville ten years. During this time he served a term as district attorney, and held
other public offices. He has resided in Allegheny county, and practiced law there, during the last twenty one years.
He was married to Harriet J. Hogeboom, of Rochester, N. Y., who descended from one of the families who emigrated
from Holland and settled in Columbia county, N. Y., soon after the discovery of the Hudson river. This family has
produced a number of men of note in the history of the State of New York. Jeremiah Hogeboom was colonel of the
first regiment raised in Columbia county for service in the Revolution, John T. was a judge in the county just
named, and Henry served with distinction on the bench of the court of appeals of his State. Harvey Henderson's
three brothers reside in Meadville. Edward H. (retired) and John J. served through the Civil war. John J. is now
one of the judges of the superior court of this State. William W. is a lawyer. Harvey Henderson's other surviving
children are: Gertrude H., wife of Archibald G. Hamilton, and Miss Grace Henderson, all of Allegheny city.
Memoirs of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
personal and genealogical with portraits.
Publishers: Northwestern Historical Association
Madison, Wis. 1904.
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium