GEORGE HOHMEYER, a successful merchant in Pittsburg [sic], located at 2505 jane street, was born November 18,
1866, son of Andrew and Annie Martha (Hahn) Hohmeyer, who at the time of his birth resided between Eighteenth and
Nineteenth streets on Jane.
When he was but five years of age he commenced going to school at the Morris sub district school in the twenty
fifth ward. His first teacher was Miss Ella Reed, now the wife of John McKane, and he attended this school for
about three years, after which he began to work in the nut and bolt factory of Oliver & Phillips, with whom
he remained four years, attending night schools. Among his teachers in this school was a Miss Dyer, who did all
in her power to encourage and advance him in his studies at night, after having worked hard all day in the shop.
After four years in the nut factory he took employment in the chimney glass factory on Seventh street and later
went with a similar factory of Thomas Evans. It was later that he found employment in the flattening department
of the window glass factory of Pittsburg [sic], belonging to Stewart, Estep and Company, with whom he served faithfully
for four years and a half. He was then in his twenty first year and went at the carpenter's trade, under Noll,
with whom he served an apprenticeship of two years, after which he worked as journeyman for ten years. In October,
1897, he engaged in the grocery trade at his present place of business, where he carries a good stock of family
groceries. Mr. Hohmeyer has made for himself a good home, and accumulated property by his own will power and labors,
assisted by the help of his industriots wife. Mr. Hohmeyer and his family are all members of the German Baptist
church, of Which body he has been a trustee two years and treasurer. In his national politics he is a stanch Republican,
though never desires office at the hands of his fellow countrymen. He is numbered among the membership of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, inëluding the Encampment; Junior Order of American Mechanics and the Protective Home
He was united in marriage by the Rev. L. H. Donners, pastor of the First German Baptist Church, to Mary Noll, who
resided in the twenty sixth ward of the city; she is the daughter of Andrew and Mary (Kipp) Noll, both natives
of Germany and both now deceased. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hohmeyer are as follows: 1. Edna M, born July
14, 1892. 2. Nattie Emma, born March 5, 1894. 3. George Raymond, born November 4, 1906. Three are deceased, Hattie,
Andrew and one unnamed.
A Century and a half of
Pittsburg and her people.
By: John Newton Boucher
The Lewis Publishing Company
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium