CHRISTOPHER PASSAVANT LINHART, of Wilkinsburg, passenger conductor on the Pennsylvania Railroad, was born April
10, 1856, in Pittsburg, son of Wilkins Lirihart, and grandson of Christopher Linhart, who was born at old Fort
Duquesne, now Pittsburg, and was by trade a bricklayer and stonemason. He subsequently engaged in business as a
contractor, one of the buildings which he erected being the "Brimstone" Methodist Episcopal church on
the corner of Smithfield and Seventh avenues. He married Martha Brindle, and they became the parents of one son,
Wilkins, of whom later.
Wilkins Linhart, son of Christopher and Martha (Brindle) Linhart, was born May 9, 1833, near Whitehall, Allegheny
county, and was for many years engaged in the wholesale flour business on Liberty street. He afterward turned his
attention to contracting, building and real estate, purchasing considerable property on what is known as Duquesne
Heights, on which he erected many residences, selling them at a profit. He is now real estate agent, expert and
appraiser for the Pittsburg Bank for Savings, the People's Savings and Trust Company, and was elder in the Presbyterian
church for years. He is a Republican in politics, and served as a school director for many years.
Mr. Linhart married Sarah Richey, and they have been the parents of the following children: Christopher Passavant,
of whom later; George, married Alice Jackson; Jennie, wife of James Bald, deceased; William, married Bessie Johnson,
of Tampa, Florida; Harry Daggart, a physician, of California; Arthur, deceased, judge of Porto Rico; Margaret,
deceased; Nellie, deceased, wife of Frank Livingston, one son, Gilbert, the youngest; Bessie, at home; Wilkins,
died in infancy; and Walter, married Hannah Young.
Christopher Passavant Linhart, son of Wilkins and Sarah (Richey) Linhart, was educated in the public schools of
Pittsburg and at Murrayville Academy. On completing his studies he went into business with his father, in connection
with whom he later purchased a tobacco plantation which they successfully cultivated for three years. At the end
of that time Mr. Linhart, junior, obtained employment with the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Company, but not
long after found work more to his taste in the construction of the Lake Erie Railroad, having charge of the stone
construction bridge, under the direction of Mr. Quincy. When the work was completed he was employed on the railroad
as fireman and engineer. In 1878 he entered the service of the Pennsylvania Railroad as passenger brakeman, later
becoming conductor, which position he has now held for many years. In 1890 he moved to Wilkinsburg.
He belongs to the Railway Conductors' Veteran Association of the Pennsylvania Railroad, the Old Reliable Association
of Conductors, and Cornmandery No. 48, Knights Templar, also the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is
a thirty second degree Mason, affiliating with Lodge No. 546, East Liberty, treasurer of Chapter No. 285, a Shriner,
Syrian Temple, and a charter member of the Eastern Star. He is a staunch Republican and a member of the Presbyterian
Mr. Linhart married, April 7, 1886, Blanche, daughter of the later William H. and Margaret (McLean) De Vore. A
sketch of Mr. De Vore appears on another page of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Linhart are the parents of one son, Lawrence,
who is a doctor surgeon and a specialist.
A Century and a half of
Pittsburg and her people.
By: John Newton Boucher
The Lewis Publishing Company
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium