CHARLES A. MUEHLBRONNER, the leading produce merchant of Pittsburg, was born in Philadelphia, Pa, May 10, 1857.
His parents moved, when Mr. Muehlbronner was a baby, to La Grange, Ohio, thence to Richmond, Ky., and afterwards,
in 1865, came to Pittsburg, where their son attended the public schools until his fifteenth year. At this time
he started to learn painting, and was thus engaged for about eighteen months, afterwards spending four years as
a clerk in a grocery in Allegheny city. He went to San Francisco, remaining there as a painter for about a year
and a half, and then returned to Allegheny city, where he sold grocers' supplies for two and a half years. He then
started a poultry business in Pittsburg, later adding vegetables to his stock, and from this humble beginning he
has built up the Iron City produce company, now "the largest house of its kind in Pittsburg, occupying a large
four story building at No. 623 Liberty Ave., and handling about $600,000 worth of produce annually. This immense
business is carried on entirely by correspondence, no traveling salesmen being employed, yet the better class of
trade send in orders by mail, knowing that they will receive prompt and careful attention. Over 21,000 carloads
of produce were handled by the firm in 1902, besides a large amount that was received and shipped by boat, the
river trade being an important factor in the growing business of the company. In all his dealings Mr. Muehlbronner
has been fair and honorable, and he has an enviable reputation for unimpeachable integrity in his business life.
Besides his vast produce interests, he is a director in the Western savings and deposit bank, a director in the
German National bank of Pittsburg and the Central savings and trust company and a stockholder in the German American
savings and trust company. His political career has been such as reflects great credit upon himself. For three
years he was tax collector for the seventh ward of Allegheny city, and while serving in this capacity, he was elected
to the school board and afterwards to the common council, so that at the same time he held three public offices,
discharging the duties of each with great care and fidelity. His ability and attention to the public welfare won
him a reelection to the common council, and then a place in the select council. While serving in the latter body,
he was elected to the State legislature, in 1890, and he therefore resigned his seat in the council after serving
two years. He served four terms of two years each in the legislature, and, in 1898, was elected to the State senate
for a four year term. In all this long political service he has ever had the welfare of his constituents at heart,
and his political opponents have never been able to attack his standing or character. Mr. Muehlbronner is prominent
in the social life of Pittsburg, being a member of the Teutonia and the Turners, as well as other social organizations.
He is a thirty second degree Mason, and a noble of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the B. P. O. Elks, and several other fraternal orders, and is a contributing
member to the German Lutheran church.
Memoirs of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
personal and genealogical with portraits.
Publishers: Northwestern Historical Association
Madison, Wis. 1904.
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium