Biography of Dr. James F. Philips
Allegheny County, PA Biographies

DR. JAMES FRANCIS PHILIPS, whose family name is derived from the word "Philip," meaning a lover of horses, located at No. 2139 Wylie Ave., Pittsburg, Pa., was born in the little village of Library, Allegheny county, May 17, 1859. The town of Library was so called because it contained the first circulating library established west of the Allegheny mountains, and has grown but little since it was first founded. Dr. Philips is the son of David L. and Nancy (Allison) Philips, his father being a contractor and builder, who died in 1893. His ancestors were among the early settlers of Pennsylvania. Dr. Philips' great grandfather, David Philips, came with his parents, Joseph and Mary Philips, to America in 1755, from Pembrokeshire, Wales, and settled near the town of West Chester, Pa. During the Revolutionary war, General Washington's army was located for a while near the Philips homestead, and David and his three brothers rendered the American general valuable service in the way of giving information concerning the people inhabiting that section of the State. In a personal interview with General Washington, they obtained permission to form a company, and each of the four boys received a commission: David as captain, two as lieutenants, and the fourth as ensign, which was then a commissioned office. After the war, Capt. David Philips settled at Library, Pa., where he organized the Peters Creek Baptist church, of which he was pastor from 1783 to 1829, being the first Baptist minister west of the Allegheny mountains He died in 1829, and lies buried in the graveyard at Library, his grave being marked by a Revolutionary marker. Dr. Philips' mother was a lineal descendant of one of the old Holland families that settled in the colony of New Amsterdam at a very early date. Dr. Philips was educated in the public schools of Allegheny county and at Piersol's academy, at Bridge water, Beaver Co., Pa., from which some of the greatest men in the country received their education. After leaving the academy, he taught for nine years in the public schools of Allegheny and Beaver counties. He entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Baltimore, Md. , and graduated in 1889, after a three year course. The same year he received the degree of M. D. from the Medico Chirurgical college, of Philadelphia. On May 8, 1889, he located at his present address and began the general practice of medicine. He is a member of the Allegheny county medical society, the American medical association, Dallas lodge. No. 508, Free and Accepted Masons; Beaver lodge, No. 248, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, located in West Bridgewater, Beaver county; member of Beulah conclave. No. 296, Order of Heptasophs, and Center Avenue lodge. No. 124, A. O. U. W., and the Masonic country club. From 1890 to 1895 he was vaccine physician for the city of Pittsburg. During the year 1901 he was surgeon to the police force and fire department of the city of Pittsburg, and for the same period was physician to the bureau of health. From 1894 to 1898 he was examiner for the Manhattan life insurance company, of New York, and from 1896 to 1900 he was examiner for the Illinois life association. He is now the examiner for the Order of Heptasophs and for the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically, Dr. Philips is a republican, but was one of the instigators and promoters of the citizens party in Pittsburg, having been chairman of the party organization in the eleventh ward from the beginning of the movement. He is a member of Christ Methodist Episcopal church. Dr. Philips is in the highest sense of the term a self made man. His genial disposition makes friends, but he holds those friends through the sterling qualities that he has developed by careful study and training. His patients know him for a conscientious physician and humane man. They know, too, that they can rely fully upon his word, and have faith in his skill and his promises.


From:
Memoirs of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
personal and genealogical with portraits.
Publishers: Northwestern Historical Association
Madison, Wis. 1904.


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012