JACOB STRAUB, who is an expert blacksmith and scientific horse shoer, residing in the borough of Duquesne, Pennsylvania,
is the son of John and Elizabeth (Routh) Straub. The father was born in Elzasse, Germany, where he served as game
warden for a period of thirty two years at one place. Elizabeth Routh, whom he married, was of Kosswieler, Germany,
and died in 1905. John Straub and wife were both members of the German Lutheran church. Their children are: 1.
John; Jr. The next four children died in infancy. 6. Sophia. 7. Caroline. 8. Charley. 9. Emily. 10. Alice: 11.
Louise. 12. Jacob, subject, of whom later. Of this family Alice is the wife of Joseph Shirley, of Duquesne, Pennsylvania;
Caroline married Charles Buck, a farmer of Davenport, Washington; Emily was first the wife of Valentine. Blatter,
born in Hasslen, Germany, and came to America in 1898, and was married the same year of his arrival. They resided
in Dravosburg, Pennsylvania, where he died, and later the widow married Louis Muller, of Strausburg, Germany.
Jacob Straub (subject), the twelfth and youngest of his parents children, was born July 17, 1876, in Kasswieler,
Germany, and attended the public schools at Kosswieler. Coming to America in 1890, he first locating in McKeesport,
Pennsylvania, where he was employed by the National Tube Company for about six months, and then came to Duquesne,
Allegheny county, where he mined coal for six months, after which he resumed work at the National Tube Works at
Duquesne, remaining for the same period of time. He then had become thoroughly convinced that a man nowadays was
more independent if he was master of a good trade, hence he apprenticed himself to A. Inblume, of West Grant street,
Duquesne, where he learned the trade of a blacksmith and up to date horseshoer. After he served for three years
he went with John Kerr, of Homestead, where he was employed a year, then went to Butler, Pennsylvania, where he
conducted a shop of his own for six months, but sold it, and the following day went to work for Wilson Brothers.
on Rebecca street, Allegheny City, where he remained two years, and then returned to Duquesne, where he was employed
in the shop of Fred W. Pirl for one year. His next position was with Thomas Minford, of California, Pennsylvania,
with whom he continued a year and until the breaking out of the Spanish American war, when he enlisted in Company
I, Fourteenth Pennsylvania Regiment of Infantry, under Captain Hamilton, of Elizabeth, Pennsylvania, and served
two years, being honorably discharged at Somerville, South Carolina. He then returned to Duquesne, where he resumed
his trade again, this time engaging with Fred W. Pirl, for whom he had previously worked. He continued there a
year, then opened a shop for himself at Clarington, Pennsylvania, which he ran. a year and sold out and was employed
next with the firm of Pirl, Krunger & Compahy, with whom he remained a year, and then started a shop at Plum
Alley, Duquesne, which he continued for another year, and then moved to the old stand of Fred W. Pirl. where he
is at present.
Mr. Straub married, July 31, 1901, Mary P. Snyder, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Heilman) Snyder, of Duquesne.
They have three children 1. John William, born March 11, 1902. 2. Mary Elizabeth, born July 3, 1904. 3. Melvin
Guss, born November 16, 1906.
Mr. Straub is a member of the Knights of Malta, the Maccabees and the Home Guards, and in church relations is a
member of the Evangelical. Lutheran church at Duquesne. Politically he has always cast a Republican ballot.
A Century and a half of
Pittsburg and her people.
By: John Newton Boucher
The Lewis Publishing Company
Allegheny County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium