JOSEPH W. JAMES, M. D., the inventor and manufacturer of James' widely known and standard proprietary medicines,
and a practicing physician at Brady's Bend, is a son of James and Agnes (Williamson) James, and was born at Aaronsburg,
flames township, Centre county, Pennsylvania, February 25, 1826. His father, James James, was born in Delaware
in 1784, was a merchant at Millheim, in Centre county, for some time, and removed to this county in 1837. He attended
the Presbyterian church, and in politics was a democrat. He died December 7th, 1854, aged seventy years. In 1825
he married Agnes Williamson, a daughter of John Williamson, of Salina, Centre county, Pa., and they had five children:
Dr. Joseph W., Robert M., born in 1829, and an oil producer and insurance broker, who married Susan Kirkpatrick,
of Westmoreland county, a sister of Judge Kirkpatrick, of Pittsburgh; Elizabeth, born in 1832, and wife of Dr.
T. C. McCulloch, of Oil City, Pa.; Barbara J., born in 1835, and married Dr. S. B. Van Valzah, of Durand, Ill;
and Samuel C., who was born in 1838 and died in 1844.
Dr. Joseph W. James was reared in Centre and Armstrong counties, and received his education in the schools of Millheim
in the former, and of Freeport in the latter county. Leaving school, he was engaged in teaching at Freeport for
three years, and then worked far several months on the daily Sun, of Pittsburgh. In 1842 he commenced the study
of medicine with Dr. T. B. Williamson, but completed his course of reading with Dr. David Alter. He attended lectures
at Jefferson Medical college and Pennsylvania Medical college, in the years 1846 and 1847. He then returned to
Freeport, and in the spring of 1847 commenced the practice of his profession at Brady's Bend.. In March, 1851,
he went to California and became connected with the "Mokelumne Hill mine company, in which venture he was
pecuniarily successful. He returned to Brady's Bend the following year and resumed the practice of medicine, which
he has pursued successfully ever since. He is the inventor, proprietor and manufacturer of "James' Stillingine
and Sarsaparilia," "James' Cherry Tar Syrup," "James' Hair Tonic," "James' Soothing
Syrup Cordial," "James' Rheumatic Linament," and "James' Liver Pills."
On October 13, 1853, he married Margaret Templeton, daughter of William Templeton, of Greenville, Mercer county,
Pa. To their union have been born five children: Ida, born July 18, 1854, and wife of C. H. Shepley, a druggist
of Blairsville, Pa.; Dr. W. D., of Chicago, who was born September 13, 1856, was graduated from the University
of Maryland and married Olive Abrams, daughter of James Abrams, of Rimersburg, Pa.; Robert C., born September 15,
1859, employed by the Standard Oil company of Chicago, and married to Laura Hershberger, of Johnstown, Pa., Emma
E., born July 27, 1862, and wife of J. V. Sloan, a Harvard law student; and Edwin C., born January 28, 1867.
Dr. Joseph W. James is a republican in politics. He is a member of Lockard Lodge, No. 1534, Knights of Honor, and
a member and trustee of the Presbyterian church at Brady's Bend. He has been engaged to some extent in oil operations,
and was the pioneer in the Millerstown region, but for the last few years has given his time and attention to the
practice of his profession, and the introduction of his remedies, which are sold largely throughout Pennsylvania
and in adjoining States.
Biographical and Historical Cyclopedia
of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania
Samuel T. Wiley, Historian & Editor
John M. Greshan & Co.
Armstrong County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium