HERMAN H. SCHWIETERING, a wellestablished and prosperous merchant of Freeport, and one of the survivors of the
old and well known 14th Pennsylvania Cavalry, was born at Buffalo, Butler county, Pennsylvania, June 11, 1843,
and is a son of Frederick D. and Elizabeth (Walters) Scbwietering. Frederick Schwietering was born and reared in
Germany, where he received his education in the excellent schools of that country. In 1831 he became a member of
the colony that was formed, to come to the United States, by the great bridge builder, John Roebling, whose son
built the wonderful Brooklyn bridge. When this colony arrived in this country Mr. Schwietering settled at Saxonburg,
Butler county, where he remained until 1863, when he came to Freeport, and was engaged in the general mercantile
business until his death, which occurred July 12, 1888, at eighty one years of age. He opened the first store at
Saxonburg, and during his long career of forty seven years as a merchant, be so conducted his business as not only
to secure good success, but to command the confidence and esteem of the communities in which he resided at different
times. He was a consistent member of the Evangelical Lutheran church, and a man whose word was as good as his bond.
Straightforward, reliable, generous and energetic, he possesssed a host of friends and enjoyed the respect of all
who knew him. He was a republican in politics, and married Elizabeth Walters, who was born in Butler county in
1812. She is a member of the Lutheran church and resides at Freeport. They were the parents of nine children, of
whom four are living.
Herman H. Schwieteting was reared at Saxonburg and received his education in the common schools. Leaving school,
he assisted his father in the mercantile business until February 23, 1864, when he enlisted in Co. L, 14th regiment,
Pa. Cavalry. He participated in the various skirmishes and battles of his regiment, and was honorably discharged
at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, in August, 1865. Returning home from the army, he became a partner with his father
in the mercantile business, under the firm-name of Schwietering & Co. This partnership continued from 1865
to 1885, when he withdrew and removed to his farm, in South Buffalo township, where he was engaged in farming for
five years. In the spring of 1890 he returned to Freeport and opened his present general mercantile establishment.
He has a well-arranged building which is eligibly located, and carries a choice stock of the best and most desirable
goods. His trade is rapidly assuming the large proportions of his former patronage of five years ago.
On June 26, 1866, Mr. Scbwietering united in marriage with Sadie E. Burtner, daughter of Philip Burtner, of Allegheny
county, this State. Seven children have blest this union, three sons and four daughters: Lizzie L., a talented
and accomplished musician, had a music class of forty-seven pupils at Freeport, in 1890, when she was cut down
by the hand of death; Mary E., who died in infancy; Frederick P., Walter R., Minnie C., Herman B. and Nina A.
Herman H. Schwietering is a member of the Freeport Lutheran church and Henry S. Weaver Post, No. 32, Grand Army
of the Republic. lie is a republican in politics, has held various borough offices, and for the last ten years
has been a member of the school board. Reliable and respecied as a citizen, he is a man of enterprise and business
Biographical and Historical Cyclopedia
of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania
Samuel T. Wiley, Historian & Editor
John M. Greshan & Co.
Armstrong County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium