Biography of Samuel Turner
Armstrong County, PA Biographies

SAMUEL TURNER, senior member of the furniture and undertaking firm of S. Turner & Son, is one of the old and substantial citizens and business men of Freeport. He was barn near Noblestowu, Allegheny cohnty, Pennsylvania, July 8, 1828, and is a son of Samuel and Charlotte (McCarty) Turner. His fatber and grandfather were native born citizens of Allegheny county.

Samuel Turner was reared at Leechburg, where his father had located April 1, 1839. He received his education in the public school and then served an apprenticeship of four years at the trade of cabinet maker with John Wanamaker, of Leechburg. He then engaged in cabinet making, and worked fér various firms until 1853, when he came to Freeport and opened a shop in partnership with his brother, John Turner, in a small frame building which stood on the corner of Fifth and High streets. They did business under the firm name of Turner & Brother. John Turner retired from the firm in 1856, accepting a situation in the grain and mercantile establishment of P. S. Weaver, which position he held until May, 1859, at which date he formed a partnership with A. N. Hamor in the grocery and provision business at Freeport, under the firm name of Hamor & Turner, selling out his interest to A. N. Hamor in April, 1861, engaging for a short time in the early oil business, but became a partner of Levi Bush, January 1, 1862, in drug, grocery, provision and shoe business under the firm name of Turner & Bush, which did a profitable and successful business up to 1871, when by mutual consent the business was closed out entire, since which time John Turner has been engaged in the different oil producing fields with the usual ups and downs incidental to the business. He is at present operating and producing some oil in Greene county, Pa., and has resided permanently at Freeport since March 31, 1845.

Samuel Turner removed in 1856 to his present location on Fifth street, purchasing from his brother John the lot and brick portion of the present building and from which date to the present has continued to hold the entire control of the undertaking, and we may safely say, monopoly of the furniture business of Freeport and vicinity. On February 2, 1885, Mr. Turner associated his son, William Fred, with him, under the present firm name of S. Turner & Son. In 1888, Mr. Turner erected the additional handsome two story frame building, making it a model, if not the most complete furniture establishment in western Pennsylvania.

The aggregate floor space of the entire building is 9000 square feet; they carry a complete stock of furniture, comprising many grades to suit the tastes of their numerous patrons. In addition to their full and complete line of furnitore, they have a fully equipped undertaking department.

On July 10, 1863, Mr. Turner united in marriage with Margaret Jane Clark, daughter of Joseph and Jane (Loughery) Clark. Two children have been born to this union: Wil11am Fred, born April 28, 1864, and an infant daughter, who died. Mrs. Turner passed any on December 29, 1883, aged fifty three years.

Samuel Turner is a republican in politics, has been a member of the borough council and was once elected burgess, hut refused to serve. He is enterprising and reliable in business, and has always been ready to give his assistance to whatever would advance the interests of his borough.

William Fred Turner, the junior member of the firm and only son of Samuel Turner, was reared and educated at Freeport; in addition to attending the public schools he took the full course at the "Actual Business college," of Pittsburgh, Pa. Ever since attaining his majority he has been actively and successfully engaged in business; in addition to his responsible position in the furniture firm he has been treasurer of the Freeport Building and Loan association since its organization, January 1, 1877, and gives some attention to other business matters, and is at present serving as burgess of the borough, to which he was elected by an overwhelming majority in February, 1889. On January 20, 1887, he married Lida Bricker, daughter of John L. Briaker, of Freeport, Pa. Mr. Turner is a member of the Jr. P. U. A. M. and the Masonic fraternity.


From:
Biographical and Historical Cyclopedia
of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania
Samuel T. Wiley, Historian & Editor
John M. Greshan & Co.
Philadelphia, 1891


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies Counter

NAVIGATION

Armstrong County Pennsylvania Biographies

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012