ANDREW H. WARNER, the present post master and a successful merchant of Greendale, is one of the leading citizens
and representative business men of Valley township. He was born in the kingdom of Würtemberg, Germany, January
27, 1843, and is a son of Henry and Mary (Warner) Warner. Henry Warner was a life long resident of Wurtemberg,
in which he followed farming. He was a steady, honest man, a member of the Lutheran church, and died in 1845. He
married Mary Warner, a native of Wurtemburg, who is a lutheran in religious faith, and resides now at Greendale.
Andrew H. Warner was reared in Germany until he was fourteen years of age, when he came with his mother, in 1857,
to Lawrence county, where she resided for thirty years. He received his education in the excellent public schools
of Germany and the common schools of Pennsylvania. At seventeen years of age he went to Pittsburgh, where he entered
the employ of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh R. R. company. He remained with them for twentyfour years, and during
that long period of time served as lost car agent, yard dispatcher, and in various other trustworthy and responsible
positions. In 1884 he resigned the position which he then held in the company's service, and came to Valley township,
to his present farm, which he had purchased in 1876. From 1884 to 1890 he devoted his time chiefly to farming and
stock raising. In the spring of 1890 he opened a general mercantile store at Greendale, which is well stocked with
drygoods, groceries, hard ware, notions and everything needed in the mercantile line in his section. Greendale
seems to be a good location for a store, as he has built up an unexpectedly large trade in the few months since
he commenced business.
On Aug. 30, 1863, he married Fredericka Shurke, a native of Germany. They have eight children, five sons and three
daughters: Annie, John, Edward, Lydia, Margaret, Charles, William and Ralph.
A. H. Warner is a republican in politics, and has served Valley township as auditor. He was appointed postmaster
at Greendale in April, 1890, which position he still holds. In religious faith he is a member of the Reformed church.
His farm of one hundred and ninety acres was originally two farms, which he bought in 1876. In farming and merchandising
Mr. Warner has been successful. To whatever business he has in hand he gives that close attention which is essentially
necessary to substantial success. As a citizen and a business man he stands well with the public.
Biographical and Historical Cyclopedia
of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania
Samuel T. Wiley, Historian & Editor
John M. Greshan & Co.
Armstrong County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium