J FULTON WATT. The jewelry estab lishment of J. Fulton Watt, of Freeport, is one of the most reliable, responsible,
substantial and representative in its line in Armstrong county. J. Fnlton Watt, who has been prominently identified,
for the last seven years, with the jewelry trade in Pittsburgh and at Freeport, was born in Westmoreland county,
Pennsylvania, April 26, 1856, and is a son of David and Mary (Thompson) Watt. Of the ScotchIrish who were early
settlers of Wrestmoreland county was the Watt family. The Christian name of the founder of the family in this part
of the State has been lost, but one of his sons was John Watt, grandfather of J. Fulton Watt. John Watt was born
in Allegheny township, of that county, where he married and spent his life in farming. His son, David Watt (father),
was born in 1819, on the homestead farm, and is one of the active farmers of his township, although verging rapidly
on his seventieth year. He is a republican politically, and has been a consistent member of the United Presbyterian
church for many years. He married Mary Thompson, who was a native of the county and a member of the same church
as himself. She died in 1857.
J, Fulton Watt was reared on the farm and attended the common schools until he was fourteen years of age, when
he went to Franklin county to learn wood engraving with a firm who was engaged in magazine illustration. In a short
time, however, he went to Wheeling, W. Va., where he completed his trade with John H. Zevly, then a contractor
for furnishing the postoffice department with wood engraving work. Leaving Wheeling, he worked at his trade some
time and then went to Lancaster, Pa., where he entered the Lancaster watch factory and learned watch making. He
then repaired to Pittsburgh and served a full apprenticeship in the manufacture of jewelry in the large establishment
of Terheyden. Having thns thoroughly mastered watch making and the manufacture of jewelry in all of their branches,
he was prepared to enter those lines of business for himself with every prospect of success. He engaged in 1884
with T. B. Barrett & Co., the well known wholesale jewelers of Pittsburgh, and was employed for five years
in artistic engraving and upon the manufacture of the finest lines of jewelry. In April, 1889, Mr. Watt came to
Freeport, where he established his present large and thoroughly equipped jewelry house.
In 1876 be united in marriage with Eva M. Kenneston, daughter of Mary E. Kenneston, of Freeport. To their union
have been born six children, two sons and four daughters: Frank, Maggie M., Mary, Eva, Ruth and Paul.
J. F. Watt is a member of the United Presbyterian church, and a republican in politics. He is a member of the Jr.
O. U. A. M. and the Knights of the Golden Chain. With a practical and business experience of nearly twenty years,
Mr. Watt is enabled to offer advantages that are only to be obtained at a few jewelry establishments in western
Pennsylvitnia. His stock of goods is from the leading jewelry and watch manufacturers of Europe and America, and
is remarkable for delicate beauty and superiority of workmanship. His display of silver ware is fine, while his
gold and silver watches are late in style and reasonable in price. His trade is large and is extending rapidly
over a wide area of territory. His great success has been achieved on the broad basis of merit, Mr. Watt has established
his business upon such an extended scale as to be a benefit to Freeport, and his ability, energy and honesty have
gained him an enviable reputation both as a business man and a private citizen.
Biographical and Historical Cyclopedia
of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania
Samuel T. Wiley, Historian & Editor
John M. Greshan & Co.
Armstrong County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium