ALEXANDER H. ALLISON, M.D., the pioneer physician of Cookport and now in active and successful practice at
Marion, is a son of John R. and Rebecca (James) Allison, and was born in East Mahoning township, Indiana county,
Pennsylvania, June 6, 1842. John R. Allison was born in Indiana county and was an industrious farmer of East Mahoning
township, where he died December 7, 1853, aged forty-four years and seven months. He married Rebecca James, a native
of Clarion county, who was born in 1814, and died January 25, 1884, aged seventy years. Their family consisted
of nine children, five sons. and four daughters. One of the sons was William R., who was a prominent lawyer of
Indiana, served as district attorney from 1871 to 1874, and died in 1883, aged forty six years.
Alexander H. Allison was reared on his father's farm and received his literary education in Dayton and Glade Run
academies of Armstrong county. At twenty two years of age he commenced the study of medicine with Drs. MeEwen aiid
Annesly, and after completing the required course of reading, entered Jefferson Medical college of Philadelphia,
from which he was graduated March 4, 1867. On May 13th, of the same year, he located at Cookport and became the
first physician of that place. He was prominently identified with the town in its growth and progress for over
thirteen years. In 1880 he left an extensive and lucrative practice and a large circle of personal friends at that
place to establish himself in another and very inviting field for the practice of his profession. This section
which he had selected was Marion borough and vicinity. He located at Marion in 1880, where he soon built up a large
practice which, has continually increased ever since. In 1881 he opened his present well stocked drug store in
order to have pure and fresh drugs always convenient for his practice and also as an accommodation to the public.
During Lee's threatened invasion of Pennsylvania, in 1863, he enlisted in Co. B, sixty second regiment, Pa. Militia,
and participated in the battle of Antietam.
On July 4, 1879, Dr. Allison united in marriage with Mary Lockard, of Indiana, whose father, David Lockard, owns
the well known Lockard flouring mills of Indiana.
Politically Dr. Allison is a democrat.. In addition to his practice he has given some attention to agriculture
and business pursuits. He owns one hundred and thirty-three acres of the old Allison homestead farm in East Mahoniug
township, where he keeps some of the finest thoroughbred horses to be found in the county. He is proprietor of
the Marion creamery, in which from 100 to 200 pounds of butter are made daily and shipped to various parts of the
county. He is a genial and courteous gentleman. He successfully discharges the duties of his profession with care
and sincerity and has well earned his deserved populariiy as a physician.
Biographical and Historical Cyclopedia
of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania
Samuel T. Wiley, Historian & Editor
John M. Greshan & Co.
Indiana County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium