JOHN PARK was born in 1776, in the town of Baltiwalter, county Down, Ireland, and was the son of Robert and
Jane (Bailey) Park. The family removed in 1794 to Philadelphia, where Robert instructed classes in navigation.
He died about a year after his location, and his widow subsequently married James Johnston, the surveyor, who resided
near Green Castle, Franklin county, and whose name is associated with the early surveys of northern Indiana county.
She died in Johnstown, Cambria county, in 1828, and was one hundred and eight years of age at the time of her death.
Our subject studied surveying with his father and step father, and received a commission as deputy surveyor for
the western district of Pennsylvania, from Gov. Snyder. His location near the present site of Marion is related
in the history of the borough. He died August 10, 1844, at the age of seventy. His wife was Mary Lang, whom he
married in Franklin county, in 1807. She died in 1864, eighty one years old. She was the daughter of Rev. James
Lang, a Presbyterian minister of White Spring, Franklin county. John and Mary Park's children were: Margaret H.,
married to Samuel Craig; Robert, married first to Mary G. Cannon, second to Margaretta Thompson and third to Martha
Caruthers, a sister of Rev. John Caruthers; Jane R., married to Alexander Sutor; Mary B., married to Joseph Brady;
James L., married first to Susannah Early, and second to Anna Loughry; Ann E., married to James Martin; Amanda,
married to Robert Barbour; John, married to Martha Curtiss; and Lindon. Lindon was for six years in the United
States service, one year of which he was a member of the "President's Guards," 2d regiment, District
of Columbia. Lindon engraved the broad axe presented to Lincoln in 1860.
Biographical and Historical Cyclopedia
of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania
Samuel T. Wiley, Historian & Editor
John M. Greshan & Co.
Indiana County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium