Biography of James Simpson
Indiana County, PA Biographies

JAMES SIMPSON, of Centre township, came to this country from Scotland, locating first at what was called the 'Old Scotch Fort,' or Ligonier, near Laurel Hill. He suffered all the trials of frontier life in the French and Indian wars and the Revolution, and, with his brother Andrew and tbc White brothers, served for several years as scouts. His wife was Hannah White, and be and the Whites removed at an early date to the vicinity of what is now Blairsville, and built a block house and stockade. They remained there for several years. Andrew was killed by the Indians near the mouth of Black Lick while going to warn a settlement below of danger. John White was with him, but escaped with a broken arm. Shortly after this they removed to Cherry run, on Two Lick creek, just above the mouth of the run. They erected a block-house on a bluff on the bank of Two Lick, which was called the 'Old McConaugbey Fort.' Simpson built a grist mill on Cherry run, on land now owned by Mr. Lornison, and remained there until his death."


From:
Biographical and Historical Cyclopedia
of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania
Samuel T. Wiley, Historian & Editor
John M. Greshan & Co.
Philadelphia, 1891

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies Counter

NAVIGATION

Indiana County Pennsylvania Biographies

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012