C. H. KEMP, proprietor of the "Thompson House," Kane. This house. which was designed as a summer resort,
is delightfully located in the mountainous regions of Northern Pennsylvania, and is accessible by the Philadelphia
& Erie and the Pittsburgh & Western division of the Pennsylvania Rail road. It is situated at an altitude
of nearly 2,100 feet above sea level, and on the most elevated point of that region. Pure air and water are here
afforded. making it a healthful resort during the heat of the summer months. Good fishing for lovers of the piscatorial
sport, and romantic drives also commend the place to those in search of amusement in that line. With cuisine department
unsurpassed, and a thriving borough near by of several thousand population, with none of the objectionable features
found at many of the watering places, it is eminently designed as a home for those seeking rest and recreation.
Mr. Kemp was reared on a farm, and at the beginning of the war of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company H, Third
West Virginia Infantry, and was afterward placed on detached duty in the quartermaster's department. He was offered
promotion, but declined. After the war he returned to Winchester, and until 1867 was in mercantile business. From
1867 to 1874 he was manager of Bolton's Hotel, at Harrisburg. In the summer of 1875 he was at Cape May, and in
1876 was manager of the "Washington House," Philadelphia. He came to Kane in 1877, and took charge of
the "Thompson House." Mr. Kemp is an enterprising, genial gentleman, eminently fitted for the business
in which he is engaged.
History of the Counties of
McKean, Elk and Forest,
With Biographical Selections.
J. H. Beers & Co., Publishers
McKean County, PA Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium