WILLIAM A LANDSPARGER The father of William A Landsparger, of West Newton, was Jacob Landsparger, born August
30, 1824 in Wurtemberg, Germany, served in the army as required by law and in 1853 came to the United States. He
settled in West Newton, where he engaged in, coal mining during the active years of his life. He entered the Union
army, 1861, in the One Hundred and Fifty fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. served three years and was wounded.
He was a Republican in politics, and was a member of the Lutheran church. He married Christina, born March 12,
1829, in West Newton, Pennsylvania, daughter of Leonard Orkle. She was betrothed to Mr. Landsparger before he came
to this countrt and joined him here in 1854. Mr. and Mrs. Landsparger had children: Christian, deceased; Eliza,
wife of Amazi Jones. of Webster; William A., of whom later; John E., lives in West Newton; Mary, widow of H. H.
Landsparger, of West Newton; Ricka, wife of Frank C. Cutler, of West Newton; Catherine, who resides with her brother,
William A. Mr. Landsparger, the father, died October 11, 1896.
William A. Landsparger, son of Jacob and Christina (Orkle) Landsparger, was born November 8, 1860, at Shaners Station,
and as early as his eighth year was put to work in the mines. At the age of twelve he was apprenticed to a harnessmaker,
with whom he remained three years and two months. Not finding the trade sufficiently remunerative he returned to
the mines, where he worked until 1890. In November of that year he purchased the mercantile business of James Baer,
on Second street, West Newton. The following year, the business having outgrown its small space, Mr. Landsparger
built his present two story store, twenty four by fifty feet, on Second street. Two years later he enlarged this
building, making it twenty four by one hundred feet, and in 1898 opened a cash store on Main street, where he carries
a general line of groceries, and which is now the leading grocery store of the town. In 1901 he opened one store
on Water street, and in 1903 still another on Fifth street. He also conducts a bakery. The very early age at which
Mr. Landsparger went to work in the mines, followed by the years of his apprenticeship, prevented his acquiring
any education, and at the time he engaged in the mercantile business his knowledge of arithmetic was merely rudimentary,
but by assiduous application he succeeded in supplying all deficiencies and is now possessed of a thorough business
education. He has neither sought nor desired office, is an Independent in politics, and a member of the K. of M.
Mr Landsparger married, September 7, 1882, Anna Catherine daughter of John G. and Catherine A. (Snyder) Hengsteller,
of West Newton. Mr. and Mrs. Hengsteiler are both natives of Germany, having been brought to the United States
in childhood by their parents. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Landsparger consists of the following children: 1. Charles
William A., who was educated in the West Newton schools and at Gressly Business College, McKeesport, and now assists
his father in the business, 2. Estelia Christina. who was also educated in the West Newton schools and Gressly
Business College, and is now her father's cashier and bookkeeper. 3. Florence Etta, who is attending school. 4.
Milton Elwood, deceased. Mrs. Landsparger and the children are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
By: John N. Boucher
The Lewis Publishing Company
New York - Chicago, 1906
Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium