Biography of Frank T. McLaughlin
Westmoreland County, PA Biographies

FRANK T. McLAUGHLIN, one of the younger generation of Unity township farmers, was born on the farm he now cultivates, September 29, 1868. He is the youngest son of John T. McLaughlin. He was educated in the township schools and at the Latrobe high school. He worked for his father until of age, and then rented the farm and operated it for his own profit. The farm contains one hundred and six acres nearly all under cultivation. The farm is well stocked with horses and a good grade of cattle. Mr. McLaughlin is a dairy farmer, keeping eighteen cows whose product is shipped daily from Beatty Station to Pittsburg. The farm is well equipped with the best modern appliances for dairy farming, including silo and feed cutters of various kinds operated by a steam engine. The two story brick residence was built by McLaughlin, Sr., in 1865. The outbuildings, barn, etc., are both commodious and convenient. Mr. McLaughlin is also interested in the feed business, dealing under the firm name of Shirey and McLaughlin. He is also part owner of a business building in Latrobe, known as the McLaughlin building and has other real estate interests.

In politics he is a Republican, but aspires to no public office; is a member of the church of his fathers Unity Presbyterian of which he is trustee and Sunday school treasurer. He is conducting a conservative, prosperous business. His investments are carefully made, and he is slowly but surely achieving success. He is known as a good farmer, a good man and a good neighbor. He married Cora Sides, who was born April 25, 1873. She is a daughter of Joseph and Cordelia (Miller) Sides, of Westmoreland county, and a grand daughter of Dr. Samuel Miller, a well known physician, of Bolivar. Her family removed to northwestern Nebraska with their ten children in 1995 where Mr. Sides engaged in cattle ranching and became very prosperous. Cora and her sister Pearl returned to Pennsylvania after her mother's death. Here she met Mr. McLaughlin and on May 16, 1894, they were married. She is a member of Unity Presbyterian church, and a teacher in the Sabbath school. The children are: Mabel C., born December 25, 1896, and Charles R., born October 7, 1899.


From:
History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Vol. 3
By: John N. Boucher
The Lewis Publishing Company
New York - Chicago, 1906

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies Counter

NAVIGATION

Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Biographies

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012