JOHN P. STEVENSON, superintendent of the Mammoth coke works, of Mammoth, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania,
is a native of Airdrie, Scotland, born March 25, 1857, a son of Joseph and Isabella Stevenson.
John P. Stevenson obtained his educational training in the schools of his native place, and in 1886 emigrated from
there, settling in Broadford, Pennsylvania, where he was employed as a mine laborer for about six weeks, when he
was appointed fire boss for the H. C. Frick Company, a position he occupied for two years. He then removed to Adelaide,
where he assumed charge of a new work, filling this position very creditably for three years. At this time he received
his citizenship papers and his certificate as a mine boss, and was immediately appointed to act in that capacity
at the white mines, remaining there for nine or ten months. From there he went to Davidson, where he was for seven
years engaged as mine boss, where he remained seven years. He was appointed superintendent of the mines at Buck
Eye in 1899, and after nine months thus engaged he was transferred to Mammoth, where he has since occupied the
position of general superintendent. Mr. Stevenson is a skillful and capable business man, well fitted to perform
the responsible duties attending the position he holds. During the time he has been occupied in the Mammoth mines
Mr. Stevenson has also had charge of the mines at Calumet, and was a member of the examining board eleven years
for mine foreman and fire bosses, He is a Republican in politics, and deeply interested in all community affairs.
He is now serving his second term as a member of the school board, and has been president of the same for two years.
At the time of his appointment to the latter office the township was twenty five hundred dollars in debt. Now,
after two years, they have twenty hundred dollars in bonds, and have increased the teachers' salaries and the school
term one month also. Fraternally Mr. Stevenson is a member of F. and A. M., of Scotland, and was transferred to
Lodge No. 346, at Connelisville; the Elks, Lodge No. 511, of Greenshnrg. In religious faith he is a member of the
Union church at Mammoth, and is president of the board of trustees of same. Mr. Stevenson married, March 10, 1880,
in Scotland, Jane Gray, and they have one adopted daughter, Emma Stevenson, born September, 1887.
History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
By: John N. Boucher
The Lewis Publishing Company
New York - Chicago, 1906
Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium