There are two National Banks, one Savings Bank and one Trust Co. in Burlington, the aggregate capital of which
is $850, 000. These institutions are among the soundest in the country.
HOWARD NATIONAL BANK.
This bank is located at the corner of Church and College Streets, and occupies its own building. It was incorporated
in 1870, and has a capital of $300,000. Its career has been a prosperous one, and its careful yet liberal management
has placed it in the front rank in the commercial world. At this writing the deposits of the Howard Bank are 400,000;
and its surplus and undivided profits, $88,000. Its officers are: F. M. Van Sicklen, President; C. M. Spaulding,
Vice- resident; F. H. Fisher, Cashier; F. E. Burgess, Assistant Cashier. The directory is composed of F. M. Van
Sicklen, C. M. Spaulding, Joel H. Gates, Edward Wells, D. W. Robinson. Within the last few years the deposits of
the Howard National Bank have doubled in amount, and its business increases yearly.
MERCHANTS' NATIONAL BANK.
This institution is located on College Street, and conducts a savings department in connection with its regular
commercial business. It was incorporated in 1850; was reorganized in 1865, and rechartered in 1885. It has a capital
of $500,000. Charles W. Woodhouse is President, and Lorenzo E. Woodhouse, Cashier.
THE BURLINGTON SAVINGS BANK.
This solid and venerable institution was chartered in 1847, and takes rank among the most stable savings banks
of the country. Its condition November I, 1889, was as follows: Deposits, $2,031,059.14; surplus, $205,826.78;
total assets, $2,236,885.92. Its rate of interest for the past two years has been 4 1/2 per cent. Its officers
are: Willard Crane, President; C. F. Ward, Secretary and Treasurer; F. W. Ward, Assistant Treasurer. TrusteesóC.
F. Ward, C. P. Smith, Geo. W. Wales, J. L. Barstow, Willard Crane, Henry Greene.
BURLINGTON TRUST CO.
Incorporated in 1882, with a capital of $50,000, this institution has attained a fine measure of success, and is
daily increasing its usefulness. Its deposits amount to $718,000, representing about 1,500 individual depositors,
chiefly laboring men in the City, and its surplus fund has reached $30,000. It pays interest at the rate of 4 per
cent., credited semi-annually. Its officers are: Wm. Wells, President; B. B. Smalley, Vice-President; H. L. Ward,
Treasurer. DirectorsóWm. Wells, B. B. Smalley, C. M. Spaulding, Joel H. Gates, Edward Wells, D. W. Robinson, M.
THE VERMONT LIFE INSURANCE CO.
This company was organized in October, 1868, and January of the following year began business. Its organizers were
some of the best known and highly respected men in the State, and the company received at the outset the most emphatic
assurances of success. In 1877 the company erected its own building for office purposes, an illustration of which
is presented on this page. The Vermont Life Insurance Co. has a paid up capital of $100,000; its gross assets are
$400,000.00; and the number of policies in force, 3,600, insuring $2,500,000. The stability of the Vermont Life
depends more upon its age, conservatism and caution than to any other cause. All hazardous risks are avoided, and,
unlike many other leading life companies, its aim has been not to increase its business at any risk, but rather
to afford the most reliable insurance at the least expense. The officers of the company are: Wm. H. Hart, President;
C. M. Spaulding, Vice President; C. R. Turrill, Secretary; K W. Bushnell, Superintendent of Agencies. A. P. Grinnell,
M. D., J. B. Wheeler, M. D. and L. M. Bingham, M. D., are medical counsel. The Vermont Life issues every desirable
form of life and endowment policy; and, in fact, has originated several forms which are in great favor.
As a Manufacturing, Business and Commercial Center
With brief sketches of its history, attractions,
leading industries and Institutions.
Published by the Burlington Board of Trade.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]