CURRIER, JOHN McNAB, M.D., of Castleton, Vermont, was born in Bath, New Hampshire, August 4, 1832. He was the
third son, and the youngest of four children, of Captain Samuel Currier and Rachel Annis, who were among the early
settlers of his native town, and were farmers. He received a classical education at Newbury (Vt.) Seminary and
McIndoe's Falls (Vt.) Academy.
He studied medicine with Drs. W. A. Weaks and Enoch Blanchard, of Mclndoe's Falls, Vt., Prof. Dixi Crosby, and
his son, Prof. Alpheus B. Crosby, of Hanover, N. H.; and graduated in medicine at the medical department of Dartmouth
College in 1858. In the same year he settled at Newport, Vt., where he practiced medicine until 1871, when he moved
to McIndoe's Falls, Vt., where he practiced nearly two years. In 1873 he went to Burlington, Vt., to edit and publish
The Vermont Medical Journal, but that proving to be an unprofitable enterprise, its publication was discontinued,
and after remaining in the city of Burlington a little more than one year he went to Bristol, Vt., to resume practice.
At Bristol he remained nearly two years, and in 1876 went to Castleton, Vt., his present location.
He took an active part in the reorganization of the Orleans County Medical Society, in 1865, and was secretary
of it several years. In 1873-74 he was a member of the Chittenden County Medical Society; also of the Burlington
Medical and Surgical Club. He was foremost in the formation of the Rutland County Medical and Surgical Society
in 1877, and for several years was its secretary. Through his exertions the Castleton Medical and Surgical Clinic
was formed in 1879, for the purpose of rendering medical and surgical advice and treatment to indigent patients
free. He was elected a member of the Vermont Medical Society in 1880. He was medical examiner of volunteers at
Newport, Vt., in the War of the Rebellion in 1861-65, and was surgeon general of the volunteer militia of Vermont
in 1872-73-74 with the rank of brigadier general, on the staff of Governor Julius Converse. He was examining surgeon
for pensions at Bristol in 1875-76. Besides editing the Vermont Medical Journal he contributed many articles for
other medical periodicals and for medical societies.
Dr. Currier became early interested in all branches of science. Through his zeal and instrumentality the Orleans
County Natural and Civil Historical Society was reorganized in 1869 under the name of the Orleans County Society
of Natural Sciences. In connection with this society he was editor in chief and publisher of a quarterly scientific
journal in 1870-71-72-73-74, bearing the title of Archives of Science and Transactions of the Orleans County Society
of Natural Sciences. Through his liberality the publications of this society were sent to nearly three hundred
foreign and domestic scientific, literary and historical societies, receiving in return publications in more than
twenty different languages.
In 1 872 he helped to organize the Mclndoe's Falls Scientific Club. At Bristol he was one of several to organize
the Bristol Scientific Club in 1874; and after moving to Castleton, aided in the formation of the Castleton Normal
School Scientific Club; of all three of these societies he was secretary, and sought to popularize science by holding
frequent meetings and publishing the proceedings of them in the various newspapers in the immediate vicinity. He
made a large collection of specimens in mineralogy and palacontology, a large portion of which was purchased for
the benefit of the public school in the village of Fairhaven, Vt. He also made a large collection in archaeology,
mostly Vermont specimens; one portion of which was donated to the Vermont Historical Society; and subsequently
the balance was purchased for the cabinet of the University of Vermont.
Dr. Currier was elected a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1879; of the Appalachian
Mountain Club in 1883; and of the British Association for the Advancement of Science in 1884. To the first mentioned
society he has contributed several articles on the archaeology of Vermont.
In Rutland county Dr. Currier has devoted much of his attention to the study and writing of the local history of
the county. He was one of the founders of the Rutland County Historical Society in 1880, and has been reelected
its secretary from year to year since its organization. He was elected a member of the Vermont Historical Society
in 1880, and in the same year was elected a life member of the New Hampshire Antiquarian Society. He was elected
a resident member of the New England Historic Genealogical Society in 1881. Through his zeal and liberality the
second volume of the Rutland County Historical Society was published, and several other important and valuable
documents have been published since the organization of the society. He was a contributor to Hemmentvay's Vermont
historical Gazetteer both in Orleans and Rutland counties. He has made a large collection of old, rare hooks, many
articles of antiquarian and historic value, and has preserved many historic and genealogical manuscripts.
Dr. Currier married, August 8, 186o, Susan Havens Powers, the eldest of two daughters of John D. Powers and Jane
B. Carleton, of Woodstock, Vt.; by her he had two children: Linn, born June 8, 1861, and Suza, born June 7,1867.
History of Rutland County, Vermont
Edited by: H. P. Smith and W. S. Rann
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1886
Rutland County, VT
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium